neighbor having to push a self propelled.

Old 07-14-06, 11:57 AM
Question neighbor having to push a self propelled.

My newly divorced neighbor is now mowing her yard for the first time ever. The first time, she forgot to release the lever. I watch her mow and it is obvious something is wrong. She has to dig in to manually push the mower. What step is she missing?Thanks much..p

Last edited by pearex; 07-14-06 at 12:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-06, 12:20 PM
Welcome to the DIY forums pearex.

Don't know what kind of answer you're looking for, but...

here goes my response -

You can mow her lawn for her...or have your son or daughter (if you have either or) mow the lawn for her. (Probably not a suggestion you were looking for huh?)

Since she's new to the neighborhood, have you talked and introduced yourself yet? I think after a few conversations you might be able to help her out better and get a "mowing" conversation going and then offer her some advice about mowing.

Old 07-14-06, 12:28 PM
Cool

Thanks for the laugh.. Hopefully, she'll warm up soon. I think she is still reeling from finding herself alone again. I am disabled myself, so I have to hire someone to mow for me. It just seems if I can my toe in the door, I can ask if she has the manual. Research never hurt anyone!! Thanks, p

Old 07-14-06, 12:34 PM
I'm no mower pro but I know the guys in here know their stuff. If you can provide the brand and maybe a model number they can help you out no doubt.

Old 07-14-06, 12:52 PM

I do know it is a Sears Craftsman, about two years old. It side discharges, mulches and bags. Red in color. I tried it once, when her hubby was still around, and it practically pulled me around the yard. That's why I think she is missing a step.

Old 07-14-06, 01:20 PM
She may have chosen not to engage the drive because it "pulls" her around the yard too fast.

Old 07-14-06, 01:23 PM
Wink

That's a good thought. Maybe I should just butt out??

Old 07-14-06, 03:14 PM
Not implying you wanted an answer about butting out but since she's been there as your neighbor, I think it'd be nice to try and help her figure things out unless she starts snappin' at you. I'm not newly divorce but I am a single mom and would love my neighbors to help point me in the right direction or at least try to.

Old 07-14-06, 05:20 PM
You might consider starting a conversation about how you saw her struggling with the mower and would she like to learn how to better use it? Some folks get a white knuckle death grip on the handlebars party out of fear or total lack of mechanical knowledge and don't realize that they can engage and release the drive as needed. A little advice might be appreciated. Of course I don't know you or her and garantee nothing as far as results. You might get a plate of homemade cookies as a thank you, or you might be waved at with less than 5 fingers. I'd probably do it because I like trying to help folks make their chores easier if I can. And I've recieved both of the above mentioned "rewards" over the years, but at least I tried.

Old 07-14-06, 08:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Same thing here. My elderly neighbors daughter had trouble with here snowblower a couple winters ago I did not know nothing about small engines at the time but I figuried I would lend a hand.I know the neighbor and somewhat know her daughter.So I tried a few things nothing but at least I tred. And when she got it fixed she did my sidewalk as a thankyou.So either way its worth a shot.

Old 07-14-06, 11:33 PM
pearex,

Cheese, can help you out here.

He is very very good with self propelled mowers, even electric ones that discharge from the side. These also, qualify as outdoor power equipment and he can explain all the steps to get "er" up and purring!

Dave237,
God Bless

Old 07-16-06, 01:09 PM
Red face My bad-

All good ideas. I don't have a problem helping her. I am the captain of our neighborhood watch, so I know everyone in the neighborhood. Being new to posting in a forum, I probably was not as clear as I could. When we first talked about her mower, she said the first time she forgot to release the "whatever", however, even after releasing the "whatever", she still digs in her hills to get the mower to go. I mowed my lawn for over 30 years, but with a regular push mower. I can't help her, because I don't have a clue on how to. I've tried to pull up a manual on the computer, but have failed so far. She is trying to be independent, never mowed before, so I am trying to be delicate so to speak. My ex left me in '77, and I went from knowing nothing to repairing air conditioning, small electrical jobs, etc. So, I need someone who knows about self-propelled mowers to give me some direction on what to look for. I've entered a new "neighborhood", and all of you have been very good neighbors. Please be patient while I find my way. Thanks

Old 07-16-06, 01:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wel first we need to know what kind of transmissing it has.Is it belt drivin is the belt still there. Theres a pully that engages the belt to make it tight around the pully that could not be working.Theres a bunch of reasons it might not work.What you need to do is go over there and offer to fix it for here or at least take a look if she wants and post back with what you find maby take a pic of the transmissin.Some older lawnmowers have 2 gears that lower down on top of the front wheels.If its that kind the cable could be bad.

Old 07-16-06, 01:55 PM
Thumbs up I'm on my way

Thank you so much...I'll take my handy dandy camera and do some sharp shooting.

Old 07-16-06, 06:02 PM
pearex
Just figured I'd throw in my 2 cents. Sears are belt driven (I've got an older one also that's self propelled) first thing to check for is to see if the belt is still on or in one piece, it can be seen either from the top if it has a plastic cover (front wheel drive) or from underneath (rear wheel drive) It may be as simple as a whole bunch of grass trimmings wedged up inside on the drive system. Also check to see if the cable is engaging or if it needs adjusting.
Remember....before you do any checking on the drives, remove the spark plug wire.

Hope this helps.

snoman

Old 07-16-06, 08:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello pearex!

Some of these self-propelled mowers require that you hold the bail on the handlebars, then push down on the self propell engagement lever until it clicks down, and it will stay engaged until you release the handlebar bail. Once it's released, you have to engage the lever again. Sometimes they can be a bit hard to push far enough that it clicks and stays engaged. Maybe she isn't pushing it down far enough, and figured she'd push it around as it was.

Search this Thread