Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman mower (replacing flywheel)

stamperdawgman's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1

07-16-06, 04:59 AM   #1  
Craftsman mower (replacing flywheel)

I have an old Craftsman riding mower with a 12.5 hp Briggs&Straton moter that has a plastic flywheel and plastic starter gear and both are getting mangled, but I dont know how to get the flywheel off. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
snoman's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 326

07-16-06, 05:54 PM   #2  
I don't recall ever seeing a plastic flywheel but I've heard of composite material for the ring gear and plastic starter gear. If you could post the model,type and serial number of the motor we can see what needs to be replaced. Also Briggs sells flywheel pullers for all their models.


cheese's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator

Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 16,571

07-16-06, 08:18 PM   #3  
You can go to autozone, and rent a steering wheel puller and bolts, and pull the flywheel with that. You can buy a replacement ring gear made of aluminum. The flywheel is cast iron. Use the bolt holes thet the fan bolts go in to pull the flywheel with the puller bolts.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread