John Deere LT 120 Starter Problem

Old 07-16-06, 07:52 AM

I hit a small object while mowing. The engine seem to sputter so I cut it off to look under the mower deck, but did not see anything wrapped around the blades. Now when I turn the key, the starter will not engage - seems like there is plenty of juice, as the starter is clearly getting power. Any ideas on what might be wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-06, 09:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you sure it's an LT 120 and not an L 120?
My first thought is the obvious. Blade disengaged, sitting on the seat, and brake on - all safety switch spots.
Next, you say that you have power to the starter. How did you test it. Check the starter seloniod and see if there is a loose wire. You should be able to hear the seloniod click when you turn the key to start.
Look for any loose or pinched wire, and check the fuse.

Old 07-16-06, 10:58 AM

First - I was in error on the model, it is a L 120.

Second, All safety items covered when I try to start; but when I turn the key, I hear the starter motor turn, but it doesn't crank the engine.

Thanks.

Old 07-16-06, 11:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check out the link below. It sounds like the starter gear is not spinning down the grooves to engage the flywheel. I had that problem on another mower and would occasionally have to pull the starter and loosen up the gear. I'm not totally clear from the drawings if you can get to it by removing a cover or if you would have to pull the whole starter. The one I referred to had a cover and clippings and dust would bind up the gear.

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/c...ageServlet_Alt

Old 07-17-06, 03:02 AM
L120

I pulled the engine cover off this morning and it turns out the flywheel is broken. I will replace and hopefully that will be it.

Thanks