Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Snowthrower impeller removal

PA

07-16-06, 12:36 PM   #1  
Snowthrower impeller removal

I have a late model 2-stage Craftsman snowthrower and would like to remove the auger/impeller assembley so I can paint the inside of the housing because it's all scratched up and rusty. The problem is the shaft has a press fitted ball bearing on the outside of the housing and well - the impeller on the inside. Neither one is willing to come off... The impeller is held on the shaft by two spring pins, but the close quarters make it impossible to drive them out. Does anybody have any ideas on how to do this? Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links

CANADA

07-16-06, 05:50 PM   #2  
markiz
There is the good possibility that your bearings are seized on the shaft. I haven't had any craftsmans that I had to work on that the bearings were pressed on, they all went on cleanly. On all the machines that I've worked on, a little rust inhibiter, heat and some friendly persuasion will usually help you win the battle. In my opinion, I would get a printout of the parts diagram of the auger/impeller assembly from sears so you can see exactly how everything is on and even (since you're gonna have it apart) replace them if the machine is fairly older.
You may even be able to get a parts printout from the Sears website.
Hope this helps.

snoman

PA

07-16-06, 09:01 PM   #3  
Thank you, snoman. I will give the bearing a blast of penetrating oil and see if it comes off. I don't know about turning the heat gun on it - the bearing has plastic seals. I have the diagram from Sears already. Thanks again for pointing out that it could just be stuck, your expertise certainly helps.

CANADA

07-17-06, 12:39 PM   #4  
markiz37
You're welcome....let me know how the job goes.
But in my opinion, if you're going to go as far as to make it look like new again, it would be easier and more practical to replace all the bearings now instead of when it is 35 below. Just my 2 cents worth.

snoman

PA

07-18-06, 05:13 AM   #5  
sucsess

Thank you. I invested in a bearing puller and wasn't shy about using it. That took the bearing off the shaft easy as cake. About replacing the bearings - the thing has a max of maybe 7 hours on it after only 2 seasons, ya think it's time? The reason it was all ripped up inside is the gravel driveway. Thanks for your help

NY

07-18-06, 05:22 AM   #6  
Post back with your chassis' model number so we can know what you have for a machine. As for the "bearings", are they in fact bearings or are they bushings? If you had to use a puller on them, you may have warped them and would then be a good idea to replace them.

Search this Thread