Craftsman Eager 1 Starting Problem

Old 07-16-06, 07:33 PM

i have a craftsman eager 1 and it just will not start. after about 30 pulls it starts and then just slowly dies and wont start back up. ive heard about the carb needs to be cleaned and the bowl. but im a beginner and im not really familiar on a carb. if thats the problem i need some slow and well told steps to take it apart and see the bowl. im not even sure where the bowl would be lol. i need to learn to fix problems in the future. so any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-06, 08:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The bowl is the "cup" looking thing on the bottom of the carb. It is held on by a bolt with a 1/2" head. Remove the bolt, and clean the tiny holes in the sides of it. Pull the bowl off and clean it out well and reassemble and see how it does. If still no go, you'll need to remove the carb, disassemble it, and soak it in a good carb cleaner. Has the mower been stored for a long time? How long? The carb may be badly gummed up. You'll see the gum in the bowl if it is.

Old 07-16-06, 08:36 PM
it hasnt been sitting, but it is about 12 years old but well taken care of.....so all i have to do is take the carb off the motor and clean the bowl. but soaking it, could i do that and would that clean the bowl and everything as well? or should i just as well take out the bowl and clean it. thanks for the reply cheese

Old 07-16-06, 08:53 PM
cmw0021
To do the carb isn't extremely hard as Cheese says, it's just a matter of detail. You want to clean the carb properly and that includes all the small orifices. My biggest suggestion would be to go to your local small engine dealer and order a mechanics manual for that model of engine. Tecumseh has an awesome and well written manual with lots of pictures to help you along.
If you're willing to learn then this manual is the ideal starting point. You'll be doing neighbors machines in no time.

snoman

Old 07-16-06, 08:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wouldn't remove the carb just yet. Just remove the bowl from the carb. If you do decide to soak the carb, it will have to be disassembled anyway. I'd try removing the bowl first. Just one bolt is all you'll need to remove to get it off. Use some vise-grips or some sort of clamp to gently squeeze the fuel line shut so fuel doesn't keep spilling out the carb while you have it apart.

Old 07-16-06, 09:06 PM
lol well snowman it is a neighbors lawnmower

Old 07-17-06, 07:10 AM
Carb Repair

Hi all, I just want to say thank you! I picked up a neibors lawnmower out of the trash, ordered a tune up kit from sears, repaired the engagement cable and the mower would only run if I kept pushing the primer button in. Well after reading your posts I removed the carb bowl and air cleaner and soaked the nut/jet in carb cleaner. I also want to thank you for the tip to use fishing line in the jet holes. I wouls also reccomend putting your finger over one of the side jets and spray the carb cleaner in the other side jet forcing the cleaner out the top. i also sprayed the entire carb with carb cleaner, and in the rear where there air intake is. also with bowl removed sprayed up into the carb. I put it all back together ans varooommmmmm..started right up and worked very well. Now I have a nice $200.00 push mower for around $25 worth of parts...thanks again!

Old 07-17-06, 12:37 PM
cmw0021
One thing that I forgot to mention is when you remove the float bowl the float will probably drop to its lowest point and sometimes the needle can become dislodged. So when you remove the bowl, maybe try either a piece of tape or something that you can secure the float from falling too far and dislodging the needle valve. It's a real pain to try and reinstall the needle if it falls off when you're working in a precarious position.

snoman

Old 05-24-07, 11:25 AM

I had the same problem and it was clogged jets on the bolt holding the float bowl in place.

The mower would start but quickly die, unless I would keep furiously pumping the priming bulb. If I kept the priming bulb tightly pressed in, the motor would continue to run. I thought the bulb might have a small hole in it and my keeping it pressed in was keeping the hole closed. So, I wrapped plastic wrap and electricians tape all around the priming bulb to try and temporarily seal it, but it didn't fix the problem. After reading this forum, I removed the float bowl and cleaned the jets on the bolt that holds it in place. I used a sewing pin and carb cleaner, but I may go back and use the fishing line trick and really try to get it well cleaned out. Anyway, after my quickie cleaning job, the mower starts fine and runs.