Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Same starting problem with craftsman eager 1

07-17-06, 11:19 AM   #1  
Same starting problem with craftsman eager 1

cheese, i took off the bowl, cleaned it and put it back in. still no go. and you said there were holes, there were none or i was looking at the wrong thing, here is what my carb looks like

http://www.kichline.com/chuck/fixit/mowers/newtech.jpg

but i did read this:

Tecumseh carbs are famous for gumming up and the mower may start but it will not keep running. Here's a "quick" cleanup.
Here's "starts, but doesn't run" problem from a very new Tecumseh with the mostly plastic carb. The seal between the main jet and the carb bowl swells up and cuts off the gas. I replaced it with a small O-ring.

and that is what my problem pretty much is is, it starts then dies and doesnt start again. so im not sure if thats it or the whole carb needs to be cleaned

still need help

Sponsored Links

NC

07-17-06, 05:15 PM   #2  
cmw0021,

In your picture, (nice job), the part you referred to as a seal seems to be an O-ring and if indeed this part is the problem replace it. You should also look at the the float inlet needle.....! The needle could be hanging.

God Bless,
Dave237

07-17-06, 05:41 PM   #3  
yes, the float needle in the back of it is very flimsy, not sure if it is supposed to be like that.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-17-06, 08:42 PM   #4  
Your doesn't have the holes in the bolt like most do. I'd clean the carb and rebuild with a new kit....or just replace it. They're not very expensive.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NC

07-17-06, 09:55 PM   #5  
cmw0021,

The needle is held very losely indeed but on purpose. This keeps it from hanging in the seat which just very well may be your problem.

Cheese is correct in this being a very cheap carb to rebuild or replace. I myself; would clean very well and order a rebuild kit. Pay attention to the details above; once rebuilt.

God Bless,
Dave237

NY

07-18-06, 06:08 AM   #6  
These bowls are notorious for warping. I'd replace it. Tecumseh has a bowl kit available. Check with your local shop for such.

07-18-06, 10:18 AM   #7  
yes i will get a carb rebuild kit, but i just want to know what the problem is. im going to take the carb off today but it looks spotless in it. someone said it could be sucking air where it meets the cylinder so just tighten it, ill see if that does anything. but in the carb bowl there is a big needle that sticks up through into the carb and there is another jet looking thing in the bowl itself but doesnt go into it. im not sure if either one could be the problem. just so time consuming when you cant find the problem.

honestly i just want to order a whole new carb lol.

07-18-06, 05:43 PM   #8  
today i took out that problem seal. no different. but one thing i noticed is that the gaskets for the carb are beat up and torn. dont know if that is the problem because it could be sucking air. but i pull it like 10 times. hesitates to start and runs for like3 seconds and then slowly dies. im not sure on what is wrong at this point. next things im going to do before i give up is get a new spark plug and put fresh premium gas in it.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-18-06, 09:40 PM   #9  
If the gaskets are bad, you'll want to change them too.

God bless!

07-19-06, 06:27 PM   #10  
thanks for all of your help guys, it really helped. but all i needed to do was take out the o ring where the spring is at the bottom of the bowl. vroom vroom right up and stayed running. my neighbor was pleased he didnt have to buy a new one. thank you all and i will be back if i have some more problems with anything. it was greatly appreciated.

CJ

NC

07-19-06, 11:26 PM   #11  
cmw0021,

The old O-ring...... and not seal; under the screw, can get you sometimes. I'm glad it's vrooming.... You deserve the pat on the back. You solved the problem yourself. Congrats....!

Dave237

07-20-06, 05:50 AM   #12  
yes but if you guys didnt help i wouldnt of been looking at the carburetor. exhaust and all of that. thanks again and ill be back if any more problems occur.

07-20-06, 08:33 AM   #13  
wooops... spoke too soon. it seems now like it only runs when its warm. does that mean i should put a new plug in it, and some fresh gas? lol stumped again.

NC

07-20-06, 01:14 PM   #14  
cmw0021,

You still have a problem with the carb. Make sure your choke choke flap is closing on start up and opening once warm. Also, did you adjust the idle jet when you put the carb back. 1 1/2 turns out from seated then adjust to taste. After all's said and done you might be better off to follow Cheese and the others advice and order the repair kit and a new bowel...

Dave237

07-20-06, 03:22 PM   #15  
well, now i prime it 5 times pull it 5 times and starts and runs. but 15 seconds later it slowly dies. it does this maybe 2 or 3 times. then after that it starts right up and continuosly runs. im thinking that since my gaskets to my carb are a little torn and beat up, its sucking more air than gas. so it will only run when warmed. but, i do notice when it sits overnight and i start it the next morning, it starts to blow a little blue smoke out of the exhaust and i smell something like burnt rubber. sounds to me like the head gasket it getting burnt, but not sure. any ideas?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-21-06, 12:20 AM   #16  
You removed a seal, but did you install a new one in it's place? The seal has a purpose, and may be the reason for your trouble.

The smell is probably oil burning. If it's only on startup and clears quickly, I wouldn't be concerned about it. It doesn't have anything to do with the head gasket.

God bless!

07-21-06, 10:03 AM   #17  
the only reason i didnt put a new one in is because i dont have one thats smaller. but my neighbor had the same problem. it ran fine only when warm. but since i played with it. it starts faster. but, the only reason it might not be running right, (please dont go nuts ) is because i didnt have any normal gas. so i used a little 2 stroke gas. but did run fine as weird as it sounds.

Search this Thread