ignition switch

Old 07-17-06, 01:05 PM
ignition switch

I have a b/s mod # 150202 5 hp engine im using for a go-cart,it has a armature-magneto and breaker points, condensor. how would i be able to hook up an start /stop kill switch to this engine. Im not really good with electric but eager to learn.thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-06, 01:17 PM
Use a split connector on the spade terminal on the coil, run a wire from that connection to one side of a two position switch (on/off). Run a wire from the other side of the switch to a ground screw/bolt on the engine.

Hope this helps

Old 07-17-06, 08:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
On this engine with points, you'll want to tie into the wire going to the points. Ground this wire with a switch to kill it. You can just install a new solid state ignition coil and forget the points and condenser if you want to be rid of the troublesome points setup. If you do, then you can do as marbabj suggested, and just ground the spade terminal on the bottom of the new coil.

Old 07-18-06, 07:34 AM
thanks for the replies, do i take one wire and connect it to the coil groud lead, or the coil primary lead, then the other wire going to the switch and ground this to a bolt on the frame?

Old 07-18-06, 09:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The primary, then to the switch, and to ground.

Old 07-19-06, 05:13 AM
Thanks cheese & marbobj, ill hook it up like advised. Have some other engine problems, but will post a new thread.