Stihl bogs out

Old 07-19-06, 09:34 AM
Stihl bogs out

Hi all my sick Stihl weedwaker model FS 44 bogs out.Let me explain, It will run full speed or idle when I pull the trigger it bogs out 90% of the time.I then have to use the choke again to start.I can keep it running if I feather the trigger most of the time.I have done nothing to it since I bought it new many years ago.It also idles fine.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-06, 08:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
On the carb, there should be two small screws side-by-side. The one closest to the air filter is the high speed screw. Try backing it out 1/8 turn or so.

Old 07-20-06, 05:01 AM
Ok

OK thanks I will try that after work and get back with results,

Old 07-20-06, 04:35 PM
Nope no go

Looked at the thing and there are Three screws one is for idle and two are marked H and the other L the H and L screws have stops on them and can only be turned about 1/4 either way.The other screw seems to be the idle screw and will turn all the way in or out.
I have it all messed up now but it runs the same it wont stay running and just dies.
I am thinking maybe spark plug so I am going to get a new one pretty soon,
I wonder how much a shop would charge to do a good tune up?

Old 07-21-06, 12:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I doubt the spark plug is the culprit, but it won't hurt to change it anyway. Can you play with it and get it to full speed? Does it run ok at top speed? If not, you might want to make sure the exhaust is clear. If it has a spark arrestor, it could be clogged with carbon buildup.

If that doesn't prove to be the problem, you'll probably have to clean the carburetor.

Old 07-21-06, 01:33 AM
will give it a shot

It runs fine at full speed screen on exaust looks ok I will clean carb, can I just use carb cleaner and spray it down throat?I will also replace plug.
Thanks for the advice pretty sure it is a minor thing I am missing.

Old 07-21-06, 02:02 AM
Carb Issues

I Would Not Recomend Puting Carb Cleaner Int Diaphram Carbs As This Can Disolve And Distort Diaphram.

Old 07-21-06, 01:52 PM
you are right

I did not think of that you are right it might eat the rubber Thanks before I really messed it up

Old 07-21-06, 10:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Spraying carb cleaner down the throat won't allow it to come into contact with the diaphragm. It also won't clean the carburetor either, lol. You'll need to disassemble the carb and clean it out. Not a hard job, just lay the parts out in order of removal, and pay a little attention. It's not as daunting as it may seem.

Search this Thread