Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

22hp Kohler engine problem

07-19-06, 02:24 PM   #1  
22hp Kohler engine problem

I have a Huskee mower, maybe 2000 or 2001. It has worked fine all this time and the other day it was running fine and all the sudden the RPMs shot up as if the motor was going to blow up so I shut it off. As long as you manually control the governer kinkage it will run fine otherwise it will run wide open. So I checked out the carb, all good , I also checked all the linkages everything is good and there are no signs of the linkage slipping on the governer shaft all appears well. It acts like maybe a pin or something broke. I was hoping for someone with the knowledge to fix this issue might see this. All input is appreciated. It runs fine but no throttle response and the cables are fine. HELP or off to the shop she goes.

Sponsored Links

NC

07-19-06, 06:03 PM   #2  
74roostu,

Sounds like the fly weights on the govenor shaft have broken. You'll need to open up the engine to repair this however, some others here may know something specific pertaining to the Kohler govenor that I'm not aware of.

Dave237

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-19-06, 08:26 PM   #3  
I agree that you probably have internal failure of the governor. If your linkages are intact, and the governor arm is not loose or able to slip on the governor shaft, then the governor came apart inside the engine. Don't run it this way. You'll ahve to take the engine oil pan (sump cover) off to see and repair the problem. It involves a little work, but shouldn't cost much to fix. When you get a new governor, look at all the pieces it is comprised of. Then, make sure you get all those little pieces out of the engine from the old governor before you reassemble it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread