B/S Oil Seal Leak

Old 07-19-06, 06:02 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face B/S Oil Seal Leak

I have a b/s model #92902 type 3181 01 code 85042408 that oil is leaking from the seal under the deck,can I replace the seal without taking the base plate off,or if I have to take the plate off,do I need to turn the motor upside down or right side up,I will take the motor off the deck first.i don't want to get the motor out of time.

Thanks
Jerry

Old 07-19-06, 08:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
You don't even have to take the engine off the deck. Just remove the blade and blade adapter, clean the crankshaft well, and pull the old seal out. It's just pushed in there. You might want to get a seal puller to get it out, and be careful to not put the tiniest nick on the crankshaft, especially where the seal goes. (don't go crazy trying to pop it out with a screwdriver). Then, put a little oil on the crankshaft where the shaft steps up to the larger size where the seal goes, and slide the seal up in place. Use a twisting motion with slight pressure to get the seal on the stepped up part of the crankshaft. Then, using a seal installer or a drift pin, lightly tap the seal in place squarely and evenly until the seal face is flush or slightly below the sump cover surface.

Old 07-20-06, 08:36 AM
J
Thanks cheese,for the info.

Old 07-24-06, 10:40 PM
If you don`t have a seal driver used a washer just slightly bigger than the seal.

Old 07-28-06, 08:00 PM
J
Thanks guys I drilled to small holes in the seal,and used two sheet metal screws,and a blade puller and the seal came out no problem,used a piece of pvc pipe and,and put it over the crankshaft,and tap it in with a plastic hammer,no more leaks.

Jerry

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: