Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

McCulloch Mac 335 Chainsaw....

07-20-06, 10:51 AM   #1  
McCulloch Mac 335 Chainsaw....

Hi there, I'm just new to the forum but after reading a lot of the older posts on here I think I have a lot in common with the average person on here. I have the chance to buy a new McCulloch Mac 335 chainsaw for about 2/3 the normal price, but have no idea how these saws rate against the other brands. If I could afford a Stihl I would buy one but they are a little out of my price range at the moment. I need the saw to cut a bit of firewood(not much) and for around the garden. If anyone can give me any input, that will be greatly appreciated ... slick50...

Sponsored Links

MO

07-20-06, 06:37 PM   #2  
Go to a big Box store, Lowes or Home Depot and buy whatever is on sale, when you're the regular homeowner kind of person it doesn't really make much difference. Poulan, Homelite, whatever, the idea is to use the proper mixture of gas/oil for fuel and the proper lube for the chain. I would suggest that you use STIHL oil for your gas mixture. When you are finished with a project and don't anticipate useing the saw for a while drain the remaining fuel from the tank and then start the saw and run the fuel that is remaining in the carb. Never, never use a fuel mixture that is over 90 days old, dump it in the auto an get new fuel for the saw. You can put StaBil in the fuel, or STIHL and some others say they have stabilizer in their oils to perserve the fuel, the best garantee you can have is if the fuel is fresh and the tank and fuel system of the device is empty. Have a nice day

07-20-06, 07:32 PM   #3  
Geogrubb, thanks. I've used chainsaws at work but on a regular basis. They were cleaned every day but once a week were drained and given the full maintainance check. With my own saw I would've put the thing back on the shelf, fuel in and not given it a thought... cheers... slick50...

07-20-06, 11:22 PM   #4  
Posted By: slick50 Hi there, I'm just new to the forum but after reading a lot of the older posts on here I think I have a lot in common with the average person on here. I have the chance to buy a new McCulloch Mac 335 chainsaw for about 2/3 the normal price, but have no idea how these saws rate against the other brands. If I could afford a Stihl I would buy one but they are a little out of my price range at the moment. I need the saw to cut a bit of firewood(not much) and for around the garden. If anyone can give me any input, that will be greatly appreciated ... slick50...
McOLLOCH WICH IS NOW OWNED BY MTD/ARNOLD ARE FINE RUNNING CHAIN SAWS,AS ARE THE POULAN MODELS GOOD DEPENDABILITY ,AND PLENTY OF POWER FOR THE HOME OWNER. HOWEVER HOMELITE PRODUCTS THESE DAYS ....THEY USED TO BE RELIABLE,BUT MY RECENT EXPERIENCE WITH HOMELITE PRODUCT HAVE TURNED ME AGAINST THEM,(BLOWERS,CHAINSAWS AND EDGERS) CONSTANT CARBORATION PROBS......................... I BOUGHT A NEW McCOLLOCH CHAINSAW AT HOME DEPOT THREE YEARS AGO.MARKED DOWN FROM 174.00TO 89.00 THATS ABOUT HALF PRICE.TOOK IT OUT TWO MONTHS AGO AND TOPPED MY MAPLE ,STARTED ON SECOND PULL...IF YOU NEED A CHAIN SAW AND CAN GET A MAC AT A DEAL YOU SHOULD BUY NOW.GOODLUCK

07-21-06, 04:28 AM   #5  
Thanks for the input Cleancut. I went out and bought the saw. I'm on the other side of the planet living in Germany but a bargain's a bargain no matter where you are. I also got a two year warranty, it's law here. It's great to post on a forum where you get some feedback . I posted on other forums and got no response so I hope I will have some input to help someone on this one... cheers... slick50...

NY

07-21-06, 06:28 AM   #6  
The key to buying any power equipment is the old addage...service, service, service. Any time you consider buying a new product you need to know if you can find a local servicing dealer in your neck of the woods. Along with the service you would like the dealer to be well stocked with repair parts.

Search this Thread