Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn tractor won't start

07-20-06, 06:32 PM   #1  
Lawn tractor won't start

It was my son's doing, honest

My son put some fuel in the lawn tractor, bringing it up to half full, and then forgot to put the gas cap on. He mowed for a few minutes and the tractor stopped. Wouldn't restart, even after letting it sit for over 2 hours. Still has gas, didn't seem like gas had spilled everywhere. No smell of fuel. Cranks fine, just won't start.

Sponsored Links

07-20-06, 11:36 PM   #2  
Posted By: KH Homeowner It was my son's doing, honest

My son put some fuel in the lawn tractor, bringing it up to half full, and then forgot to put the gas cap on. He mowed for a few minutes and the tractor stopped. Wouldn't restart, even after letting it sit for over 2 hours. Still has gas, didn't seem like gas had spilled everywhere. No smell of fuel. Cranks fine, just won't start.
UNLESS IT SAT IN THE RAIN I DONT THINK THAT IS AN ISSUE. BEFORE YOU DO ANY THING ELSE TRY THIS. AFTER MAKING SURE BLADES ARE DISENGAGED ,FLIP UP THE SEAT AND IF YOU SEE A SAFTY SWITCH WITH TWOO WIRES UNPLUG IT. THEN TRY TO START IT. IF IT STARTS THE OCCUPANT SAFTY SWITCH NEEDS REPLACED.OR YOU CAN JUST LEAVE THE PLUG OFF. WOULD REALLY LIKE TO KNOW IF THIS INFO HELPED.GOOD LUCK FROM CLEANCUT IN BALTIMORE MD ..

Moderators note: Removed Email address. Email addresses are not allowed in the forums. Also, the use of all caps in forums (all internet forums) is universally translated as "SHOUTING". It also makes for harder reading. Please use standard text. Thanks.

Last edited by cheese; 07-20-06 at 11:48 PM.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-20-06, 11:52 PM   #3  
What kind of mower? It could be any number of things. On many mowers, you can't just unplug the seat switch to bypass it. They have internal shunts in the connector to prevent this from working.

First of all, since it was run with the cap off when it died, I'd pull the fuel line from the fuel filter and check to be sure fuel is flowing out the line freely. If not, something probably got in the tank and clogged the tank outlet. If you do have good fuel flow, check for spark at the spark plug. If you have spark, I'd suggest removing the carburetor bowl and have a look. Post back with the results of the fuel flow and spark tests and if these didn't reveal the problem, we'll go from there.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

07-24-06, 10:30 PM   #4  
If it`s cranking over like you said, the interlocking system (safety switches) are not the problem.
If it won`t start or try to start when putting gas in the carburetor, you either have loss of spark or loss of compression.

Search this Thread