Craftsman Eager 1 problem (Continued.....)

Old 07-21-06, 01:13 PM
Craftsman Eager 1 problem (Continued.....)

uhm, guys i think i found the real problem. today i got it started and running. but i took off the oil cap cause i saw some smoke. but when i took it off, the exhaust was comming out of the oil resevoir. LOL what is wrong with it?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-06, 01:13 PM
it looked like a cloud of exhaust, i hardly saw any comming out of the exhaust pipe LOL

Old 07-21-06, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by cmw0021
it looked like a cloud of exhaust, i hardly saw any comming out of the exhaust pipe LOL
Leave the cap off, thats how you fix it. I wish I could have seen in it probably pretty funny. If theres water in the oil it will steam and exhaust will look normal. If it had bad rings and was blowing past the rings into the sump I think you would see smoke in oil tube and in the exhaust.

if it runs, drive it till it dies

Old 07-21-06, 03:47 PM
barely runs, itll only keep running when fully warmed.

Old 07-21-06, 03:47 PM
barely runs, itll only keep running when fully warmed. im going to try and swap my old craftsman 3.5 mower engine, to the craftsman 6.75 only because it runs.

Old 07-21-06, 06:37 PM
if you want to sell the 6.75 let me know

Old 07-21-06, 08:34 PM
well maybe, but so u say i know the solution? and what may it be? i really just want to learn, i have 2 mowers as it is and a brand new 5.5hp honda mower, so i dont need it. if you do know what to do tell me. and if you dont, and want it how much are you willing to pay?

Old 07-21-06, 09:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like you have blowby. Removal of the head and inspection of the cylinder may reveal the problem. If you have no smoke out the exhaust, the engine is probably ok. A cetain amount of "smoke" will come out the oil fill tube if you remove it while the engine is running. A lot of it is vapor. If the oil is milky, it has water in it. If not, it doesn't. It also still sounds like you could have a carburetor problem.

I can't remember what the original problem was, and what you've done so far. Please use the reply button instead of starting a new thread each time so we can see the whole story at one time.

Another note: No solicitation to sell or to buy is allowed on the forums. Any business conducted here will be deleted. I'm not trying to be hard to get along with, but if the door is opened just a tad, everyone will be trying to sell stuff on here. Thanks!

Old 07-21-06, 10:51 PM
ok no problem. but yeah i cleaned the whole card and took out that problem seal, but didnt have another so i didnt replace it. its a b***h to get started and keep running, but once warm it is completely fine. and yes it is milky and whitish color out of the oil tube, and aloso i noticed some comes out of the carb . could this be the problem? if it doesnt get solved, im just going to try and fit my old craftsman 3.5hp motor and swap it witht he 6.75 craftsman thats having trouble (ONLY if it fits.)

Old 07-21-06, 10:59 PM
i read about valves not closing properly due to a few causes. and a mecanical failure in the carb (for the carb to smoke) but yes the oil is milky and exhaust is ran through the oil tube.

Old 07-22-06, 02:14 PM
when oil and water mix it turns a milky white color. I would let the oil drain out for a day or 2. I never had this happen but read that if you hose off the bottom of the engine you can spray water past the crank seal and into the oil so maybe thats how it got there. These seem to be good engines from what I seen so I dont think it would be anything serious.