Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh mounting flange removal help

07-23-06, 08:30 AM   #1  
Tecumseh mounting flange removal help

I need help getting off the mounting flange on a Tecumseh 4.5hp to replace the gasket. I'm calling it the mounting flange but i dont know if that is the correct term but its the cover on the very botom on the engine. The engine leaks oil from there but it runs great. i can get the flange up about a half inch but won't go any higher. I haven't used any muscle on it yet b/c i didnt want to break it. do i just need to muscle up? or is there some kind of trick? I can see where the gasket is bad with the flange up a litte bit. I have the engine off the mower deck too. thanks

Model #: 143.985004
Family #: std185u1g1ra

Sponsored Links

CANADA

07-23-06, 01:09 PM   #2  
fiveo302stang
It sounds as if your crankshaft has some imperfections on it.
Make sure that the crankshaft is clean (no burrs or sharp edges) this can be accomplished with some fine grit emery cloth. Just polish the crank as far up to the bottom seal as you can and I think the flange should come off easily. You should never have to use excessive force to remove it.
Hope this helps.

snoman

07-23-06, 06:49 PM   #3  
Awesome thanks the flange came right off after 5 mins of sanding and couple dashes of penetrating oil and it slide right off. The blade adapter even came off with ease. I just have a couple of more questions...when I put the new gasket on should I use a little silicone around the seal? It doesnt look like there was any on the old one. My next question is when I took the cover off the oil pump assembly that is attached to the camshaft came off I slide it back in but is there a certain way it needs to be when I reinstall everything? The part that fell out was a smooth rod with a ball on the end hopefully someone knows what Im talking about. Thanks again

CANADA

07-23-06, 10:15 PM   #4  
no i don't think you have to silicone it. just torque the bolts down to the right tightness (9.5 ft pounds, 115 in. pounds, 13 Nm) and it should seal.

the oil pump goes like this:

the end of the pump with the ball on the end looks like it fits in the little hole on the flange. just wait until another person can confirm this cause I haven't fully rebuilt a tecumseh before and i don't want your engine to seize! but i've seen the flange like that and the pump and it looks like the ball fits on top of that hole on the flange. remember that pic shows like its beside that hole but that's because the other end of the pump isn't touching the flange yet, its hanging in mid air on that diagram!

CANADA

07-24-06, 04:23 PM   #5  
fiveo302stang
I always put grease on the crank and the seal, it's cheap and it won't hurt anything. The drawing James gave you (link) is probably what you have and it is a good drawing. What I would highly recommend is to pick up the Tecumseh mechanics manual part #692509 from your local small engine dealer. It has all the info you need to work on and put that motor back together. It's a great teaching tool. You can also d/l it from here.
http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

snoman

Search this Thread