Thoughts on new walk-behind mower

Old 07-23-06, 07:09 PM
Thoughts on new walk-behind mower

I have a Snapper that I bought new back in 1994. It is a 5hp that bags, mulches or side discharges. I have never had any problems with it. To this day it still starts on the first pull. It runs great although it does burn a little oil.

After 12 years I am thinking it is about time to start looking at a new mower. I have a corner lot, 95x130. The old Snapper has done a good job and I wouldn't mind getting another one. However, I would like to hear from some of you who have bought a walk-behind recently and get your thoughts on what you bought and how it performs.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-06, 08:16 PM
Group Moderator
Since you're probably looking at something similar but newer than your current mower, I think I'd leave it alone. I haven't seen mower technology advance to any degree that makes your current mower obsolete. I wouldn't replace it until it breaks.

Old 07-23-06, 09:09 PM
i agree, dont get rid of it. but if you really want to, here is a great mower that will last many years with no problem, and even has self propelled. i have this model but non-propelled. runs great, 1 soft pull and vrooms right into action. cant go wrong with a honda.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...711&lpage=none

Old 07-23-06, 11:33 PM
You'd probabally get another ten outta that briggs....... as for oil consumption..... what oil weight are you using? straight hd-30 or multi weight? Either way a little consumption is nothing.... of course you should always keep a check on the level, if it used oil or not.

Old 07-24-06, 08:00 AM
Run the one you have until it absolutly dies, with a little maintenance like changing filters, using fresh fuel and changing the oil, that briggs you have wil last a long, long time. Take it to the car wash and power wash it once in a while(cover the carb inlet) to keep gunk from accumulating in the engine cracks and crevases. To replace the quality of mower you have will cost 350-400 today. Have a nice day. Geo

Old 07-24-06, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by cmw0021
i agree, dont get rid of it. but if you really want to, here is a great mower that will last many years with no problem, and even has self propelled. i have this model but non-propelled. runs great, 1 soft pull and vrooms right into action. cant go wrong with a honda.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...711&lpage=none
I decided against self propelled, so I bought this one and like it very well so far:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=97712-270-11A-
542Q711&lpage=none

AZ

Old 07-24-06, 02:49 PM
Regardless of which brand you choose to buy, if you do, in fact so choose, the most important aspect to consider is if you have a reputable service dealer in your area for the brand you buy. Personally, I'd buy from an independent, small business, outdoor power equipment dealer. Say you buy the Honda, as recommended above, but the nearest servicing dealer is 50 miles away, this becomes a quick annoyance. On the other hand, you have a Toro dealer just around the block. You can see what I mean. Be sure the dealer has a good reputation though.