B&S Governor spring questions...

Old 07-24-06, 08:54 AM
B&S Governor spring questions...

I've run into a problem on my rider mower (Dynamark). It has an 8hp B&S (190707-6003) that broke its governor spring (or whatever it's called). It's a very fine-wired, small-diameter, but rather long spring that has the governor rod (from the governor arm to the carb) running down the middle of it to support it. I hope this description makes sense...

...anyways. This spring broke, and I've purchased a replacement without difficulty. However, what my problem is, is that I don't know what each end of the spring is supposed to attach to, especially the carburetor end of it (I'm sure the governor arm end of it attaches to the arm). There's nothing obvious that it ought to be attaching to, and the thing I *think* it's supposed to hook it onto (the choke?) kinks the spring up at a weird angle, so that it seems that I'm not supposed to be hooking the spring to it.

All I have is a owner's manual and a parts catalog for this thing...no service manual. Can anyone help me with this?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-06, 03:05 PM
That is not a governor spring, it is an "anti-flutter" spring and is not absolutely necessary. But, the spring connects at each end of the link in a hole near the link holes - one on the throttle shaft (on the carburetor) and the other on the governor arm. If you see no tiny holes immediately next to the linkage holes then simply insert the spring into the same holes as the link goes into. The purpose of this spring is to keep the tension tight between linkage and it's respective mounting points. I doubt if you'll notice a difference without this spring.

Old 07-24-06, 03:35 PM
As puey said, that spring is not really necessary until the carb/governor linkage gets worn and sloppy. It keeps tension on the linkage, if ever so slight, to prevent the surging. Have a nice day. Geo

Old 07-25-06, 01:05 PM
Are you sure? Ever since the thing broke, it is AS IF the governor isn't working, not doing its fiddly bit to the carb...the engine bogs and dies very easily, usually when I engage the deck. If I engage it VERY slowly, I can avoid killing the engine, but it lacks power.

Old 07-26-06, 08:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That makes me wonder if the whole end of the linkage didn't break/wear off, or the hole in the throttle on the carb is worn out. The tiny spring shouldn't make any noticeable difference if the rest of the system is in order.

Old 07-27-06, 02:36 PM
Sounds to me as though you need a carburetor reconditioning. How old is this machine? What is the code number of the engine? This will tell us the year. If this is quite old, you may have wear in the throttle shaft (into the carb) and this will cause poor performance.

Old 07-28-06, 09:18 AM
190707-6003.

I honestly don't know the age...I bought it used last year for $200. The mower is, I believe, about 17 years old, but the engine isn't the original.

It was running pretty well until recently, even though the engine is less powerful than the mower's original (12hp). Even acting the way it does, it starts right up when cold.

Old 07-28-06, 09:31 AM
The numbers you gave are the model and type numbers. There is one other set of numbers on the engine, this will be the code. What is it?

Old 07-29-06, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by puey61
The numbers you gave are the model and type numbers. There is one other set of numbers on the engine, this will be the code. What is it?
Ooooh...I thought those were the only numbers that mattered. I'll have to wait until I get home from work to check on that. Are the numbers you need in the same area as the others?

Old 07-31-06, 08:10 AM
Okay...it's either 68020110, or else 88020110. I strongly suspect the latter, but I had trouble reading that first digit.

Old 08-14-06, 11:32 AM
I was messing around with it yesterday, checking carb adjustments and such...and I'm quite certain at this point that the governor isn't working. I could adjust the carburetor so that the engine revved WAY too fast (not for long, I shut it down before Bad Things happened) but when I put the engine under load with those carb settings, the governor clearly wasn't keeping the RPMs up like it was supposed to.

I'm going to mess with it further, to check the governor itself. Good thing I have a push mower to fall back on.