Lawn tractor won't stay running.

Old 08-04-06, 10:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I know this is off topic and might not have anything to do with the problem but how freely do the blades turn WITHOUT the engine running.Maby they are sezed and the motor dies when engaged cause it can't turn them.

Last edited by lexmarks567; 08-05-06 at 02:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-06, 04:45 AM
mower still not staying running

I'm not sure but I'll give them a turn when I get a chance either this PM or tomorrow. I do know that when I start it & have my foot on the brake so it will keep running, I can try to engage the blades & it dies.
I thank y'all for any & all suggestions. Betty

<<I know this is off topic and might not have anything to do with the problem >>>

Old 08-06-06, 08:12 AM
Angry mower still not staying running

I switched around the relays, I rotated the blades.......same thing.
There has to be a switch that the brake & the engage blades controls. With it running & my foot on the brake, if I move the handle for the blades just a 1/4 inch it dies.
I guess I'll just have to brake down & call the small engine repair place to come get it. I don't know what else to do. Do y'all have anymore suggestions??
I didn't take the deck off yet. I may try that tomorrow after work. Betty

Old 08-06-06, 02:24 PM
well mine is the opposite, when mine cranks and runs it won't cut off, come to find out i had a bad coil. in your case i think it is still the seat switch, i think it is losing its ground connection. this is a thought, i may be wrong.
if not that then i'd try a ignition switch, i had one of those go out too.

Old 08-06-06, 06:30 PM

Sorry, VC but I couldn't help but laugh. Right now I would love to have that problem.
I'll replace the seat switch. They aren't that much & I've done everything else but that.
Betty

Old 08-06-06, 10:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok, now you've eliminated all the components in the seat switch circuit as well as you can without a multimeter and some knowledge of electricity and how the switches work. I think you have either a wiring problem (pinched/shorted wire) or a component that has failed in an unusual way that you won't be able to tell just by visually checking things.

I know this is Doityourself.com, but unless you have some electrical knowledge, test equipment, and a working knowledge of the safety system on this mower, I think it's time to let a professional take a look. It's a very simple problem, but it just has to be found.

Old 08-07-06, 04:40 AM

I really hate to admit defeat, but I think you are right. However, I am going to replace the seat switch --just to make sure. I have talked to a small engine repair man that said he would come over & look at it since I don't live too far from his shop.
Thanks to everyone that has helped. This really has been a learning experence.
Once it's fixed I will post the answer to the forum. Maybe it will help someone else one day. Betty

Old 08-07-06, 03:44 PM
Thumbs up It Works !!!

Had to give it one last try----new seat switch It now runs like a charm. I have been mowing everything in sight.
I know the subject of the switch was brought up several times but I guess I just thought that was too simple. The button that goes down when you sit on the seat was stuck. $9.99 for a new one. Best $10 I've ever spent.
I want to thank everyone that took the time to listen & help me. I now have a better understanding of how my lawn tractor works.
Thank you, thank you, Betty

Old 08-07-06, 06:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it fixed! See, we do know what we're talking about, hehe . Clipping the wires to it should have bypassed the seat switch, unless the test wasn't done properly, but in any case, you're going again! Thanks for the update!