Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Blade-type edger needs gas in sparkplug hole to start

07-26-06, 04:06 AM   #1  
Blade-type edger needs gas in sparkplug hole to start

I have an old Montgomery Ward Power Plus (thirty or fourty years old) gas-engine edger with a blade. It runs fine but wont start untill I take off the sparkplug and put two or three drops of gas in the sparkplug hole. What could be the problem and what can I do to fix it, if possible? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links

IA

07-26-06, 05:52 AM   #2  
Jcrichie:

The choke probably isn't closing all the way. Take off the air filter, look in the back of the carburetor. The first plate you will see is the choke plate. You may have to adjust the linkage to get it to close properly.

Hope this helps

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-26-06, 08:19 PM   #3  
I also would suspect the choke. On an engine this old, the choke is probably a barrell type pull choke. There should be a knob at the end of the carb you would pull to activate the choke. Some of these had linkages attatched, and the choke engaged when the throttle lever was pushed to the choke position. If this is the case, the choke may be sticking, or the throttle cable may need adjusting to give the choke full range of motion.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

07-27-06, 02:51 PM   #4  
If the carburetor hasn't been serviced lately, you may want to consider pulling such and servicing it completely.

Search this Thread