Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

anybody know this mower?

07-26-06, 06:11 AM   #1  
Help

ok i got an older mtd tradesman gt 1846 i cant find any info on this mower so if any one knows anything plese reply. Also i want to make this thing go pretty fast it has a 18 twin i dont know if i could switch pulleys on it bucase it has low and ghigh range gears and apperes it has 3 pulley the motor the tranny and one in the middle can u help. Also the cluch is very hard and depresses very slow would changing springs do any thing

can anyone help

thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-26-06, 08:14 PM   #2  
Sounds like you have a varidrive system on this mower. To make it go fast, you just about need to completely trash the varidrive system and go with a conventional drive system. This will require some engineering of parts to build a conventional clutch. You could change pulley sizes, but then you'd have to figure out the right size belt to work with the variable ratio system you have. This may prove to be difficult, because the odds of you needing a belt that is dead on the inch increments you buy these belts in are not good. Chances are you'll be needing a belt that is between sizes. Also, the varidrive system uses non-standard pitch belts. 5/8" belts may work, but not as intended if I recall correctly.

This isn't really the right mower to try to modify that way.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

07-27-06, 02:55 PM   #3  
Find the model and serial number of your machine (should be on a sticker under the seat) and go to MTD's parts look-up site http://www.buymtdonline.com/webapp/w...10101_15601_-1

Search this Thread