Stihl saw will not run at full throttle

Old 07-26-06, 08:33 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stihl saw will not run at full throttle

Hi All, have a stihl 031av saw that will idle fine and I can adjust the L screw fine per madsens web site. When I give it throttle, the saw bogs down and will either run like it needs more fuel (sort of bucks and kicks) or will die. if I let off the throttle it goes back to idle. Took apart and cleaned the carb, fresh fuel, good spark, muffler ok, not blocked. Can anyone give me some more suggestions? Thanks, Bart

Old 07-27-06, 02:43 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you need to bathe (I like Napa's 6402 carb cleaner)the carb and recondition it with a kit. It appears you have a definite fuel starvation issue and the recon should do the trick, provided you know the piston and cylinder are in good shape (for good vacuum as well as compression).

Old 07-28-06, 09:08 PM
P
Originally Posted by puey61
Sounds like you need to bathe (I like Napa's 6402 carb cleaner)the carb and recondition it with a kit. It appears you have a definite fuel starvation issue and the recon should do the trick, provided you know the piston and cylinder are in good shape (for good vacuum as well as compression).
I think a carb kit wouldnt hurt, I'll follow your directions and have a leakdown test done, thanks, b

Old 07-29-06, 03:35 PM
B
have a shop dip the carb. these saws will get wood dust in there and then clog up. I have had a husquvarna that had this same problem, but have never has my stihl do it.

Old 07-29-06, 10:48 PM
P
Will do! Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: