Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

wet lawnmower

TX

07-28-06, 07:01 PM   #1  
wet lawnmower

i have a lawnmower that got wet from been out in the rain by mistake ,now it doesn't start at all ,any suggestions on what to check,anybody have ideas that would help.

Sponsored Links

TX

07-28-06, 07:39 PM   #2  
First I would check the oil,to see if no water got in the oil,if so replace the oil,drain the gas tank,and put fresh gas in the tank,if no go check for spark.

Jerry

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

07-28-06, 09:08 PM   #3  
Also check the coil if its rusty remove it and clean with sand paper or a wire bush atachment on your hand drill.Also clean the magnets on the flywheel too and replace the coil and set it gap using a buiness card between the flywheel and the coil and rotate the flywheel untill the coil gets pulled to the flywheel by the magnets.Tightin the coil and remove the card(spelled it right this time ) also like said drain the gas tank replace with fresh fuel drain the carb by removing the float bowl and dumping any gas still in the bowl out and re-atach it.(make sure the tank is empty when doing this or you will loose gas as it will flow to the carb).Or put a C-clamp on the fuel line to pinch it. Or if you have a fuel shut off valve turn it to off.

Last edited by lexmarks567; 07-29-06 at 03:49 AM.

MO

07-29-06, 08:51 AM   #4  
If it just got rained on and wasn't submerged don't jump in and start taking it apart, if it ran before it will run again. Go to your local auto parts store and get a can of starter fluid, remove the air cleaner and spray a one second shot of starter fluid down the throat of the carb(with the choke off so the spray can past the choke butterfly). Now with ignition on give it a try, it should start. If it fires, clean the air cleaner, let it set and dry out, put it back together and go back to work. If not, now start tearing it apart. Have a nice day. Geo

OH

07-29-06, 09:26 AM   #5  
If the foam air filter got wet this will keep it from starting.

PA

07-29-06, 08:07 PM   #6  
I agree, don't be taking it all apart just yet. Dump the gas and replace with fresh gas, and drain the gas out of the carb.

07-29-06, 09:39 PM   #7  
First off, now way water's gonna get in the oil unless you left the cap off!!
Now the gas tank.... maybe if the vent hole was on the top of the cap...... which newer ones don't have. All unless the thing got submerged in water..... then yeah.
Coil rusty and causing problems? more then likely no.... I'd check the kill wire (make sure its not rubbing bare on metal) and the little switch that the dead man switch activates to kill it is free and working. If these are good and no spark (well try a new plug just in case) then its the coil.

TX

08-01-06, 10:01 AM   #8  
thanks for the info (v8driver,bontai joe,mattison,geogrubb,lexsmark567,jsouth (i cleaned out the gastank and air filter and it started (thanks again for the info)

god bless

PA

08-01-06, 12:27 PM   #9  
Glad to hear you got it running without too much of a problem, and thanks for letting us know.

TX

08-01-06, 06:12 PM   #10  
your welcome bontai joe , later ,till next time

GOD BLESS

Search this Thread