Need replacement Briggs engine for Craftsman Tractor

Old 07-30-06, 05:53 PM
Need replacement Briggs engine for Craftsman Tractor

While over at my neighbors the other day I was commenting on a Briggs engine sitting on his table that had a connecting rod shot thru the block. He was repairing the Craftsman Tractor for somebody when he found the "problem." Anyways the owner doesn't want the lawn tractor anymore, so its mine if I can find an engine for it. The tractor itself is great shape.

The specs are as follows:
Craftsman Lawn Tractor - Model: 917.270670

Briggs & Stratton 16 hp OHV engine
Vertical 1" x 3 5/32 shaft
Model: 310707-0136-E1

Anyways, my question is how interchangable are Briggs engines. I know I will need to have a vertical shaft OHV engine, but does it necessarily have to be this same model #and HP? How universal are the mounting plates? I guess what I am saying is am I stuck looking just for this engine for the tractor or do I have some options? I have been priced $400-$800 for a new one, but being on a tight budget I am seeing if I can get by any cheaper by shopping around (even used if need be). My neighbor/friend who was repairing it will put the engine in for me if I can just find something that will fit.

Any help or advice will surely be appreciated.

Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-06, 06:02 PM
Very interchangeable..... pretty soon I'm about to put a 18 horse apposed twin on a tractor with a worn out 12hp single.

Search this Thread