flywheel key problem?

Old 07-30-06, 08:21 PM
flywheel key problem?

my mower does not start but i have spark ,i noticed that the flywheel key seems to be towards one side more than the other ,would this cause the engine from starting,

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-06, 10:17 PM
Yes, this times the spark, you'll have spark with a sheared key though.

Buy a puller, or with a rubber mallet turn the flywheel while hitting up from underneath, or put the flywheel but back on and hit it while pulling up on the flywheel to get it off.
Make sure to get the right torque for the flywheel nut, or you will shear the key again.... off the top of my head, beleive its 40 pounds.... someone else should know for sure.

Did you hit anything?

Old 07-31-06, 06:29 PM
i fixed the flywheel key problem but i guess i have more problems than i expected.(thanks v8driver)can you tell me if there is any thing else i can check to fix my prob. my engine won't start at all still. i checked the coil ,gas tank,gas cap,muffler,brake linkage the only thing i haven't done is tear down the carb.my mower just gradually came to a halt and now it won't come on.please advise.i bought the puller thanks

Old 07-31-06, 06:31 PM
thanks v8driver

Last edited by NAVYDAD; 07-31-06 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-31-06, 08:03 PM
Dribble a little gas or spray a little starting fluid down the carb (not on the air filter) and see if it starts off that..... if it does and shuts down after it uses it up..... make sure the gas is getting to the carb first, then its the carb.

Old 08-01-06, 04:48 PM
Don't use starting fluid. I'm a tech for a transport company near Ottawa Canada, & we WON'T use it even when -35*. Dribble some gas into the carb & install the air filter, then try to start. The air filter acts as a spark arrestor to prevent a fire in case of a backfire!! Remember, Starting fluid is for 2 cycle [email protected] -40*

Old 08-01-06, 07:46 PM
hopkinsr2
Not to doubt your good intentions, however, down here in Missouri, currently 101 degree, we use starter fluid as a quick check to see if an engine will fire no matter what the temp, then we work from there. Have a nice and "cool" day. Geo

Old 08-01-06, 08:17 PM
Geo, I really hate to see "do it yourselfers" grab a can of ether to try to start something. Sorry if I sound like this should be in a different thread, but you need spark, compression & fuel to make an engine run. if you have spark & compression, why not fix the fuel supply. I've never used starting fluid on anything that has a spark plug & I've been @ this for 20 years. Remember, We're DIY's & we don't need a can of ether to catch fire in someone's hand Sorry, just my opinion before someone gets hurt, Roger