governor in Honda GX140

Old 08-01-06, 09:20 AM
governor in Honda GX140

I was trying to adjust the governor arm and accidentally dropped the shaft inside by pulling the pin. Somehow I was able to pull it back. I have few questions before I start the engine.

1.Does the shaft has a cut for the pin to fall in? Is that maximum limit to pull it up?

2. Is the shaft supposed to move a bit up and down freely? It was like before, but somehow I don't have that now.

3. How far I should go in tightening the pinch bolt and nut? when I tighten all the way, arm becomes rigid, not freely moving back. When l loosen a bit, I am afraid, with the vibration, it may fall off.

4. When I turn the flywheel, is it supposed to move back and forth? It was like before, but not now.

Thanks
Nicky

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-06, 04:35 PM
Why where you adjusting the govenor Was it surging, or running too slow??? If the blade brake is in the run position, the flywheel should rock back & forth by hand. If the blade brake is in the run position & you cannot move the flywheel, it sounds like something jammed inside when you lost the governor shaft. Why did the govenor need adjustment???

Old 08-01-06, 08:00 PM
governon in Honda

I was putting everything back after breaking the seized piston. Before I install the gas tank, I was thinking of adjusting it. I went through the service manual. But curiously I pulled the pin and it went down.
Now It is in position and I am able to move the flywheel freely. But I am scared to start the engine fearing a surge.

Before I start I want to make sure everything is right.
Nicky

Old 08-03-06, 11:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you saying the governor moves when you turn the flywheel? If so, this is not right. The pinch bolt should be tight. If the governor arm won't move with the pinch bolt tight, then you have problems with the governor shaft.

Old 09-14-08, 01:59 PM
related question on governor arm

Hello, the problem I am having with a Honda gx140 engine is that it revs way up on startup. This is because the throttle linkage floats free at rest and upon startup simply opens. I can't seem to understand what returns the throttle to the idle position. I say that it is related to the governor arm because it is the governor arm spring (wrapped around the rod connecting the throttle to the governor arm) which is in tension thereby opening the throttle at rest. My question is: what is supposed to return the throttle to the idle position? Thanks in advance for any help, I appreciate it!

Old 09-14-08, 02:27 PM
The governor has flyweights on it, that once the engine is running provide pressure to the governor spool that operates the governor arm pulling back on the throttle linkage and slowing down the engine.

You may need to reset the static governor adjustment, if its off even just a little it can affect the way the engine operates.

Old 10-30-08, 06:42 AM
governor arm static setting

Dear 30 year Tech,

Thanks for your response. I have made the governor arm static setting in both directions. That is, arm towards carb, rotate governor shaft clockwise and tighten; as well as arm away from carb, rotate shaft ccw - the result is the same.

Does this indicate to you that the governor assembly itself is faulty and that I need to open the engine to inspect? In my case, the governor arm/throttle linkage spring is pulling and holding the throttle open at WOT. If I hold the arm back manually it purrs like a kitten. Also, if I remove this linkage spring then the governor cycles the engine at a reasonable rpm. I thought this was a good test to see if the governor mechanism was operating properly. Maybe it's not a good test.

If the governor arm should rotate ccw upon start-up and pull against this spring tension and pull the throttle back to idle then this is my problem because mine is not doing this. I just wanted to check before I open the engine up. Thanks again for all your help!

Old 10-30-08, 03:01 PM
If you are not getting any movement of the governor arm when the engine is running with the proper static adjustment, then most likely the problem is internal which will require pulling the sump off the engine.

Old 10-31-08, 12:29 PM
well, like I said, when I disconnect the governor arm/throttle linkage spring then the engine cycles up and down slightly in rpm. It is this spring that is opening the throttle up to WOT. So if the governor arm should be strong enough to pull the throttle back to idle then that's what its not doing.

Search this Thread