Techumseh OHV 130 - 206820D engine Stalls

Old 07-31-06, 11:23 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Techumseh OHV 130 - 206820D engine Stalls

Dear All:

I have MTD lawn tractor (model # 13A4662F129) with 13.5 HP that I bought in 2000, so it is 6 years old. It has Tecumseh engine (engine model: OHV 130 206820D (H)).

I have been having problem with carburetor from the past two years. After having it cleaned and not working, I bought new carburetor which seem to solve the surging problem I had been having. Now engine starts fine and cuts grass. There was no problem with tractor for 3 times of mowing session over two weeks.

currently, when I am mowing after several laps of cutting, the engine stalls and come to a complete halt. Immediately, I shifts things (gear and cutting deck) to neutral and flip the key to start. This starts the engine and I can engage the blade and able to cut 120 feet or so and engine stalls again. Again I shifts things to neutral and the engine will start and cut grass for approx. for two laps (about 120 feet) and stalls and stops again.

As a side note, I have replaced the fuel line and have a new fuel filter fitted in about two months ago. I do replaced the battery with a new one three weeks ago.

Some of you might have some idea what is causing this. Any ideas where to check or what could be wrong is greatly appreciated.

Jennyboy

Old 07-31-06, 05:05 PM
jennyboy
I think you should check your fuel cap to see if the vent is plugged and not allowing a constant delivery of fuel to the carb. When you say it is cold it goes several laps then it stalls around 120 feet after that. If the cap is plugged, you may be sucking all the fuel out of the float bowl and cannot replace it quick enough ergo the stalling. When it sits for a few seconds or so it may fill the bowl up again but in 120 feet it will happen again.
What you can try is to loosen off the cap (as long as fuel doesn't spill out when you are driving) to see if this will fix the problem.
I hope this is helpful.

snoman

Old 08-01-06, 05:25 AM
J
Thanks, Snowman

That was first thing I tried loosening cap or without a cap. Either way it did not resolve the problem. Next I tried to shorten the length of the fuel line somewhat. This also did not work.

Thanks
Jennyboy

Old 08-01-06, 09:01 AM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Try removing the fuel line from the carb to see if you are getting fuel to the carb, if you dont, remove the fuel line in front of the filter to see if it's the filter or line. Someone posted here the other day that there are red and white inline filters, one is for engines with fuel pumps the other is for those that do not have fuel pumps. I was not aware of this myself, so you might want to check it out. Have a nice day. Geo

Old 08-01-06, 01:51 PM
J
Thanks

I pulled the gas line from the Carborator end and saw the gas flowing or streaming out. Do you think it could faulty switch perhaps coming from deck or seat?

Any ideas, Thanks
J

Old 08-01-06, 02:26 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It would seem as though you still have a carburetor issue, likely due to poor-fuel introduction. I suggest pulling the fuel bowl off the carburetor and inspecting for sediment/contaminents. The faulty safety switch problem you suggested is certainly possible and shouldn't be ruled out. It's just that the signs lean toward carburetor fuel starvation.

Old 08-02-06, 07:44 AM
J
I will pull the carburetor and clean it. Is it good to pass a thin wire through main nozzle (jet)? Previously I tried with compressed air but I still had problems, then I used a thin wire to pass through the jet which cleared up any obstruction. But of course the jet being so small, I am wondering this wire cleaning would open up or something - actually this might have been the problem which caused me to replace the carburetor in the first place.

Why is that carburetor gets clogged up, I have new fuel filter put one just month ago. Do you advice on have two fuel filter side by side before the fuel enters the carburetor? This way it might have chance get the fuel filter. May be the clip that holds the carburetor has gone weak. Many possibilities, I guess.

Thanks for sharing you thoughts on how to clean a carburetor.
Jennyboy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: