Chainsaw help-No Spark???

Old 08-02-06, 05:43 PM
Chainsaw help-No Spark???

I bought a McCulloch chainsaw at a garage sale for $5.00. (model ms1432) I knew it wouldn't start when I bought it, but for the money I figured it would give me something to tinker with without costing an arm and a leg. So here is what I've got. I took the carb apart, cleaned, back together and is working fine. I can't seem to get a spark though. Tried replacing the spark plug but still nothing. Any suggestions on what to do? Is there a way to tell if the coil is bad? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-06, 03:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Try removing the kill wire(if it has one green color). and see if it starts if not then the coil is bad.

Originally Posted by Skeeno76
I bought a McCulloch chainsaw at a garage sale for $5.00. (model ms1432) I knew it wouldn't start when I bought it, but for the money I figured it would give me something to tinker with without costing an arm and a leg. So here is what I've got. I took the carb apart, cleaned, back together and is working fine. I can't seem to get a spark though. Tried replacing the spark plug but still nothing. Any suggestions on what to do? Is there a way to tell if the coil is bad? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 08-03-06, 07:05 AM
NOTE: The kill wire must be removed at the coil in order to isolate the coil as the suspect of the "no spark". issue. While you're there, check for proper coil to magnet airgap - .012". If after you have properly isolated the coil and you still have no spark then it is the coil that is to blame and replacing such will be in order. Be sure to properly ground the spark plug when checking for spark.

Search this Thread