lawnboy question/can 2 cycle outboard motor oil be used, ????

Old 08-03-06, 08:36 PM
lawnboy question/can 2 cycle outboard motor oil be used, ????

I have a lawnboy silver pro series 6.5 hp . Can I use a Walmart brand outboard motor oil with a TCW rating. Supposedly TCW oil is ashless. Its also cheaper than Castrol oil but will outboard TCW 1,2,or 3 oil damage a 2 cycle lawnmower

thank you

gus

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-06, 08:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why not use 2-cycle oil they sell it in ready mix just add it to a gal of gas and your all set.

Old 08-03-06, 08:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does the manual for the mower specify anything in particular about the oil? I don't think it will hurt anything, but that's assuming walmart outboard oil is just regular 2-stroke oil. If you aren't sure, I would use what I felt comfortable with.

Old 08-03-06, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by lexmarks567
Why not use 2-cycle oil they sell it in ready mix just add it to a gal of gas and your all set.
Hi lexmarks567

I was just at Walmart here in Toronto ontario canada and just saw the castrol and no-name brand 2 cycle oils for small engines and just got reading the bottles; they both said outboard motors must use TWC rated oils. I figured a TWC rated oil being ashless would be better for a Lawnboy. Question is are outbaord water cooled engine oils able to withstand aircooled engines like 2 cycle lawnmowers?

Old 08-03-06, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by cheese
Does the manual for the mower specify anything in particular about the oil? I don't think it will hurt anything, but that's assuming walmart outboard oil is just regular 2-stroke oil. If you aren't sure, I would use what I felt comfortable with.

Don't have a manual for this machine cheese. I could use any brand name oil like Castrol or Shil (which is actually made by Castrol). I'm just curious to know if outbaord TWC rated oils meant foir water cooled engines can work for air cooled engines. The TWC rated oil would be a plus for my 2-cycle Lawnboy because its ashless,therefore less carb and exhaust ports fouling problems

thanks

Gus Konstantinidis

Old 08-03-06, 09:08 PM
I would get outbourd oil for aircooled outboard engines just to be safe.I have some 2-cycle oil thats universal that can be used in 2 cycle engines and air cooled outboard engines. I would go with that.

Old 08-03-06, 09:17 PM
Thanks lexmarks567 but i have a TWC oil related inquiry for aircooled lawnmowers

Last edited by DIYaddict; 08-06-06 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-03-06, 09:24 PM
correction>>>> TCW oil related inquiry not TWC

Old 08-03-06, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by namor
Thanks lexmarks567 but i have a TWC oil related inquiry for aircooled lawnmowers

You wanted to know if watercooled outbord oil would work in a 2cycle air cooled lawnmower.I say go with air cooled 2 cycle outbord oil in your air cooled lawnmower.I will go get my bottle and quote what it says.

Old 08-03-06, 10:02 PM
OK it for outboards.snowmobiles,motorcycles,power-mowers
TC-W3 certified NMMA also sutitable for service TC-W and TC-W II.

Old 08-03-06, 10:52 PM
Thanks lexmarks567, I also got a tip from some other forum , herer what that person says.

'Water cooled motors run a lot cooler than air cooled motors. The difference in the oil specs deals with the temperature at which ash forms when the oil burns. Ash is abrasive. Air cooled oil is more resistant to forming ash. If you use Marine oil in an air cooled motor, you run the risk of forming ash and increasing the wear rate of the engine internals. ' '

Last edited by DIYaddict; 08-06-06 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote
Old 08-03-06, 11:56 PM
If your worried about ash they sell ash less 2 cycle oil.

Old 08-04-06, 08:18 AM
I think the ashless oil thing is more about pollution than lubrication, the idea being to keep as much gunk out of the water as possible. A lot of small 2-cycle boat motors are not water cooled, I have one the waterpump only cools the exhaust from the motor down. It's 5hp Clinton. A LawnBoy 2-cycle is like an old B&S 4-cycle, they will run on anything and love it. I have a LawnBoy Utility Mower that is 27 years old, my ex used to mow the grass all the time, one day I notice her mixing gas she was using 10w30, I told her she couldn't do that, she said she had been using whatever oil that was on the shelf in the garage, which was 10w30 for the car, 30w for the tiller, 2-cycle for the mower, it still starts 1st or 2nd pull. Have a nice day. Geo

Old 08-04-06, 09:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have used outboard oil for years. I was lectured by someone about not using it in my string trimmer, snow blower etc. I did mix a batch of B & S two cycle oil this year, but can't see any difference in starting, lubrication, or plug fouling. Since I still have outboard oil on the shelf, I'm going back to it on the next mix.

Old 08-04-06, 02:47 PM
As in all oils, there are many differences in quality and intended use of two-stroke cycle engine oils. To start, there are basically three types of oil in respect to the base oil: Petrolium-based; Synthetic (which is still based in petrol, by the way); and Castor based oils. Each has their advantages and disadvantages. Now from here we get a little tricky because not only do we have to decide which is the best base type oil for our application but now we also have to figure in the requirements of it. Constant or varying RPM; Engine demand; Air cooled or liquid cooled; And lastly, ambient temperature. Little do most people know but two stroke oils do come in different viscosities. It's just that none, that I'm aware of, are labeled as such. In other words, you don't see a 2-stroke oil bottle label stating 5W30, 10W40, 15W50 and so on and so forth as you do on 4-stroke engine oil labels. The two most common viscosities of 2-stroke oils are 10W or 20W. Generally, how you do tell the difference is whether the oil is intended for use in injected engines or if it is a pre-mixed solution of oil and gasoline. The injected oils are commonly 10W (although there are 0W oils for extreme conditions) and 20W for pre-mix oils. For your Lawn-Boy, I suggest using a synthetic oil that is not labeled for use in injected systems, unless your machine is injected, that is (and Lawn-Boy did have an injected model a few years back).

Old 08-05-06, 07:38 AM
I found out the hard way not to use 2cycle marine oil in my lawnboy. I don't remember the oil specs, but recall it was ashless as was the requirement for the lawnboy. So I figured it was OK to use. NOT!! Mower was 2 years old, and siezed. Pulled apart the engine, found the cylinders to be one large black mess, with scoring, and much evidence of overheating. Thats a shame, I loved that mower, and though I don't need it any more, I would like to have kept it. Lesson learned, use the correct oil!

Old 08-06-06, 06:02 AM
Thanks drivades for that testimony , I got talking to a friend here in Toronto who used a Walmart 2 cycle snowmobile oil that was marketed in 4 liter jugs for a bargain $10 cnd 5 years ago. The label at the back said something to the effect that it was good for all injection and pre-mix 2 stroke engines. Well , he used it in his 70's Lawnboy and fried, seized the piston . The oil could'nt take the Lawnboy's RPM and heat asnd broke down.
I guess snowmobile oils and marine engine oils are minimally created for lower operating temperatures as oppsoed to higher temp 2 stroke engines like lawnmowers and chain saws, weedeaters etc.

gus

Last edited by DIYaddict; 08-06-06 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote
Old 10-27-07, 10:42 AM
2 stroke oils

I have been using BelRay H1R at 32:1 for my Stihl BG85 Blower with excellent results. I have had my blower for about 5 years and use it regularly. I have changed the fuel and air filter and sprk plug but thats it. When I replaced the sparkplug I took a look at the inside the cylinder with a small flash light and I was amazed how clean the top of the cylinder was. I compared what I saw to neighbors who was using Amsoil Saber Professional 100:1 at 80:1. I took a look at his cylinder it was completerly black lots of carbon and it was hard. I did some reaserch and ran into this site I was amazed at the results. http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/...test/index.htm

Old 10-27-07, 07:22 PM
You have to remember to ask what fuel is used in these tests(93). The engine wasn't designed for high octane fuel. The octane rating we see on the pumps is (89) "the resistance to burn" rating & marketed as more power to the few that think octane means power in an engine that isn't designed for it. A too high octane for an engine will result in carbon from it's poor combustion & will form carbon. Use a quality oil & the proper fuel & you'll get a pile of hours out of you're Lawnboy

Old 10-28-07, 09:21 AM
I have seen too many people try to use outboard oil in their Lawnboy mower engines and score the pistons. The outboard oil is for water cooled engines where the Lawnboy is air cooled. The Lawnboy will run hotter and the outboard oil will not hold up at the higher temperatures. There are some new oils rated for both conditions but read the label real carefully. I personally stay away from using TWC oils in my two cycle air cooled equipment and use it only in my outboards that are water cooled only.

Search this Thread