Another Honda mower problem

Old 08-07-06, 07:03 AM
Another Honda mower problem

Does anyone know the procedure for adjusting the Roto-Stop blade clutch/brake system? This thing has become so sensitive that the blade stops whenever it wants to, sometimes before I engage the drive system. And, it does it over and over and over. This is frustrating, as this is adding considerable time to the mowing. This is a Honda model HRR216VXA. The owner's manual says to see the service manual, and of course I don't have one.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-06, 06:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I believe there is an adjustment on the handlebar under the engagement lever, under the plastic cover. You can adjust the amount of travel the cable has at this spot.

Old 08-18-06, 12:54 PM
Angry Cable adjustment does not affect sensitivity

I agree with Bruiser that the Roto-Stop blade clutch is overly sensitive in the extreme. Every time you hit a bump or just take a step, it releases. Ours is back for warranty service right now because it got to the point where it would not stay engaged at all. They gave us a loaner and it is also so sensitive that you are lucky to get 10 yards before it releases.

So I looked at it a bit. The cable adjustment has nothing to do with the release mechanism. The only thing that controls is that when you push the yellow lever forward, the blade does indeed engage. The release is an unrelated, cam-based mechanism inside the case on the handle, under the lever.

After some frustration, I decided to try an experiment: I clamped the clutch bar to the mower handle on the right side, next to the release mechanism. That does indeed keep it from disengaging. So the problem seems to be that my hand is unable to grip the clutch bar as tightly as a clamp does. At this point the only thing I can see that might help would be to bend the clutch bar a bit to make it stand out a farther from the handle. I think the design is flawed, and I would not recommend that anyone buy one of these mowers until they change it.

Old 08-18-06, 01:27 PM
I went to the local authorized Honda service center and asked about that. Yes, there is a problem with the Roto-Stop, and Honda has authorized free repair. This is the first year for this particular mower, and I fear those of us who have one will be the guinea pigs. Anyway, I took the mower to them and they did whatever they do to fix them. I've used the mower since the repair, and the Roto-Stop did not disengage one time by itself. I hope it is fixed. However, while I was mowing, the left rear wheel fell off. I didn't even notice it wobbling any before it fell off. Fortunately I was able to find the little bolt that holds the wheel on. I put a wrench on all of the wheel bolts and none of them were loose. I also bought a couple of spare bolts, just in case, you know.

Old 08-18-06, 02:01 PM
You've gotta love those big box stores, eh! Cheese.

Old 08-18-06, 03:26 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Don't think its limited to the big box stores, just more apparent as they move more product. Big name dealers also seem to be getting lax in the quality control.
John Deere with a twin Kawasaki kept the guy happy for 2 years when he brought it in for service and I just didn't think it had the power it should have...eventually found the rocker arm on one of the intake valves was just hanging...
Troy bilt tiller with the tines installed backwards and hit the tranny case when engaged.....

Perhaps a decal that states, "Some assembly MAY be required" Heh!!

Old 08-19-06, 12:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
heh heh. I think the box stores and the manufacturer's lack of quality control go hand in hand. The manufacturers marry up with the box stores to move volume, but they have to make the product fast enough and cheap enough to sell in the box stores. Something usually suffers in the process. I still think a lot of honda though.