Blade will not disengage Craftsman 917.270662

Old 08-07-06, 07:52 AM
Blade will not disengage Craftsman 917.270662

Hello All,

I have a craftsman 42" automatic trans. lawn tractor. The blades continue to turn when I drop the lever down to the disengage position. Any ideas on how to fix this.

Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-06, 08:22 AM
Go to www3.sears.com enter your model number and look at the diagrams maybe you will be able to tell what is not working properly. Have a nice day. Geo

Old 08-07-06, 09:35 AM
It looks like I need to look at the tension springs and idler pullies.

Thanks for your help geogrubb!

Mark

Old 08-07-06, 06:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Usually when this happens, there is grass/dirt buildup on top of the mower deck and the pivot point for the tensioner pulley gets rusted to the point that it won't rotate easily. Clean it off and lubricate the pivot point and get it moving freely. Also, sometimes the blade brake arms get stuck. There are rollers on each blade brake arm towards the center of the deck. They are hard to see just by looking under there. I suggest pulling the deck and get it out where you can see it well. The rollers get rusted up and won't turn and follow the cam on the pivot bracket.

Old 08-08-06, 10:18 AM
Thanks Cheese:

I pulled the deck, cleaned well and lubricated. I found a large wood chip wedged in one of the roller grooves. it was creating some serious noise and vibration problems. Also changed the belts while I was under there. After I put it all back together it worked great. Thanks for the help.

I called sears to send a repairman to fix this problem. I waited on the phone for 15 minutes before I got hung up on. This prompted me to give it a try on my own and I searched and found this web site. I am by no means a good mechanic but I'm so glad I tried this. I think I may have saved a few $ as well as built a little confidence.

Mark

Old 08-09-06, 12:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Glad we could help!