18.5 Briggs and Stratton Won't Start

Old 08-08-06, 12:26 PM
18.5 Briggs and Stratton Won't Start

Engine ran ok yesterday... today it will only turn over but never fire... I am getting a spark... If i remove the air filter it will fire and even run, but not smooth (and requires nearly full throttle)... I examined the carb area and discovered the rubber hose (boot thing) that attaches to the air filter and goes to the engine has a crack in it... could this be the problem? how do you replace this thing?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-06, 07:10 PM
That boot is the breather tube (connects the breather to the carb) the breather lets the internal crankcase pressure out.... if it had a crack in it, then it would suck dirt....... Sounds like carb needs cleaning, and the air filter replaced (since it runs better without it) whens the last the airfilter was replaced?

Old 08-08-06, 07:31 PM
probably since 1991.

anyhow, i did get a replacement for it... also, i decided to pull that breather tube off as well as that metal plate thingy it attaches to on the engine side... it appears that the material inside the metal plate has a big torn hole in it right inside where the breather tube connects... so i suspect this is the main issue... do you know where I can get a replacement for that plate and tube?

Old 08-09-06, 04:56 AM
The little fiber disk (kinda looks orangish) has a hole in it? If it does, you replace the whole deal, theres no rebuilding to it. That breather only lets the crankcase pressure and gases out.... If bad it would spew oil out into the carb (and onto the air filter) 1991? Atleast once a year to every other year.

Old 08-09-06, 11:39 AM
replaced the breather tube and plate... also the air filter... also changed the oil (which had a lot of gas in it)... oh yeah, and the spark plug... runs like a scared rabbit!

thanks for the help