Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman 4HP 14" tiller w/rear counter rotating tines

Visiting Guest

08-08-06, 12:57 PM   #1  
Azis
Craftsman 4HP 14" tiller w/rear counter rotating tines

Model #917299640
The main drive pulley and shaft seize to the point of stopping the engine. It can be worked and freed up but will bind and stall again.
The tiller is clean and has been well kept. I can only find an illustrated parts listings for reference and can find no service plugs or fittings or zerks.
It appears just to have a look inside requires complete dissasembly of the entire machine..? In the IPL I count at least 3 if not 4 shafts and 2 chains...oh ya, a few gears too

I have recently moved and am in my first week off re-establishing my shop and need to know if my currently modest means can support this job, and if in fact it is that big of a job.

NE help on reference material or experience much appreciated.

Az

Sponsored Links

AL

08-08-06, 09:13 PM   #2  
Your right,it is a big job.Not so much hard to do,as it is time consuming.Consitering you do have to take the whole thing appart,Engine off,tines&hood,counter weights,wheels and every thing.But you should be able to do it with hand tools & scokets.

If I was you I'd,when putting the tranny back together I'd drill a hole for a greese fitting. And a check plug too...about 2 inches above the drive axle for the wheels.Just make sure the chain or gear doesn't rub against it.

Visiting Guest

08-09-06, 07:44 AM   #3  
Azis
Thx for the reply and suggestions...Just dont think I have room for such a project at this time. I still have some dirt floor to deal with and only a small makeshift bench atm.

Any ideas what could be binding? Most transaxles and the like I have opened with problems like this had had an issue in the shifter assy. This unit shifts nice and smooth. And the fact that it can be freed makes me think of somin floating around in there...I have seen some factory grease jobs that leave alot to be desired and even clump...

Not sure of the age on this but wander if Sears would warrant any of it...
Since it is not my tool, I think I will pass it on at this time. Thx for the confirmation and info

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-09-06, 10:27 PM   #4  
What you'd probably find in there (from my experience with these) is the grease is cloudy and clumped up away from any moving parts, and water has made it's way in and is making rust flakes on much of the internal workings.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

08-11-06, 01:27 PM   #5  
Azis
Hi ya Cheese Good to see ur still round.

I'm perty sure its nothin a lil attention and cleanin shouldn't solve, just seems a heap of time for such simple solution.

Will let ya know what I find as I have the enngine and tine gaurd off now.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-11-06, 07:24 PM   #6  
Good to see you back too!

I'm sure you're right. A little cleaning and TLC should get it back right again. Pain in the rear to get it apart though, as you're in the process of finding out!

God bless!

Visiting Guest

08-17-06, 07:47 AM   #7  
Azis
What kinda train driver...

Have the entire unit dissasembled and have found the needle bearings for the input shaft need replacing. One is lightly pressed into a collar in the RH Gearcase assy and while it was dry and intact was still functioning. The problem one is the one mounted in the LH Gearcase assy. It appears to be installed inside a collar of sorts that is not meant to be removed..? There is a flange on the inside of the cover, that looks much like the thrust bearing, then the collar on the outside. The bearing is in the middle with no apparent way out...? While there is a seperate part # for the bearing, the LH Gearcase assy when ordered includes the needle bearing for the input shaft...? After soaking the shaft and bearing I have managed to remove the input shaft, however it appears to me there is no "designed" method to remove the bearing and support...?
Other than Sears I have no resources for AYP. I have seen other tillers similar made by MTD but do not know how similar.
Am I making the correct assumption here that I will need to replace the LH Gearcase cover to replace this bearing?
If ne one has been in one of these or has access to some literature I would appreciate ne and all response. All I have to go by is the IPL on the sears site which I can not provide a direct link to however this link http://www3.sears.com/ and entering the model #917299641 and viewing Detail "D" -Transmission.

TIA

Visiting Guest

08-17-06, 11:56 AM   #8  
Azis
Seems the bearing just needed some more stern convincing in the proper direction...

However the bearing support still spins inside the case...wandering if simply staking the inner flange would be enough or perhaps a quick tack?

Other than time consuming I would not mind do another one of these I just don't want it to be THIS particular one.

Posted By: repair_guy If I was you I'd,when putting the tranny back together I'd drill a hole for a greese fitting. And a check plug too...about 2 inches above the drive axle for the wheels.Just make sure the chain or gear doesn't rub against it.
Not sure I understand how this would work in this case? How would the old grease be removed when adding new?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-17-06, 10:48 PM   #9  
I'd use "00" grease liberally when reassembling, and put regular grease on the higher parts like the shifter. Be generous with it. Reassemble with a new case gasket too.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

08-23-06, 05:18 PM   #10  
Azis
I checked 3 local shops and only one had an idea about "OO" grease. He figured it the same as a MTD grease he gets but just used the last he had.

I found some online and will get some. For now she's buttoned up with a liberal amount of moly-graph extreme pressure/high water resistance goop Of course with a new gasket as well. Less a couple of carriage bolts in the tine shields to replace, was a pretty clean job.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-23-06, 09:19 PM   #11  
Good! Have you tried it out yet?

Rotary sells qt. bottles of "00" grease, also Alco sells it. I'm sure there are other brands. Any snapper dealer should have it for use in the rear engine rider trannys.

God bless!

Search this Thread