Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn mower quits running!!!

08-08-06, 03:11 PM   #1  
Lawn mower quits running!!!

I have a 175 john deer riding mower that quits running. It starts fine and runs fine for about 10 minutes then it dies really quickly and i cant start it until it cools down. I have replaced the battery, the coil, the fuel lines, the fuel filter and the fuel pump. Sometimes I can get it to stay running longer if I move the throttle lever when i think it's gonna die but it happens so fast that i don't usually catch it. I have a huge yard and really need it fixed, I know its something stupid. Please help if you can.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

08-08-06, 03:14 PM   #2  
What about the air filter.Whats the oil level.When was the last time it was changed.The carb could also need cleaning or a rebuild.

08-08-06, 03:21 PM   #3  
Air filter is fine, and so is oil. I don't know the last time it was changed. Carb was looked at and seemed fine. I'm at a loss.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

08-08-06, 03:59 PM   #4  
Any sign that its overheating.Like smoke from the engine or any wierd smell to hint that its overheating.When a push mower overheats you see smoke like the kind when a candle it blown out coming from the engine and muffler.

08-08-06, 04:30 PM   #5  
No smoke. Sometimes I smell gas stronger than normal but not always. I just went out and mowed with it and it shut off twice but I was able to get it going again. I wiggles some of the wires and made sure everything seemed tight. I was able to mow for a half hour or more with no problems.
I really appreciate your time helping me. Thank you

08-08-06, 07:08 PM   #6  
Try it without the gascap and see if it helps any at all.

Search this Thread