14.5hp B&S Lower bottom housing bolts are loose

Old 08-08-06, 07:59 PM
14.5hp B&S Lower bottom housing bolts are loose

Hi, I have a riding murray mower with a 14.5 hp OHV vertical shaft B&S engine.--- MY PROBLEM IS:" The upper and lower engine housing bolts have come loose in the right rear lower corner area causing major oil leak".--- I am not sure why the bolts have come loose, and want to fix my oil leaking engine. Has anyone had this problem or any suggestions on making repairs that will last?? My Murray riding mower is 8 yrs old, and has had a new head gasket 3yrs ago and new ring gear and starter drive unit installed 2yrs ago. The engine starts and runs real good, no knocking or unusual vibrations are present. Thanks, swissbob

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-06, 08:36 PM
i would just tighten them up, i would look for proper tourque so you can tighten them tight without overtightning, they have probably just come loose overtime from the engine vibrations

Old 08-09-06, 12:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Chances are that the gasket now needs changing, because it is probably worn through now. I'd take it off, change the gasket, and reassemble using blue locktite on the oil pan bolts, and torque them to proper value.

Old 08-09-06, 03:54 AM
One more thing to consider....I believe your block is aluminum and if the engine has run for awhile with loose bolts the bolt holes can become "stripped". As Cheese said, replace the gasket and torque the bolts....if they won't torque or feel "spongy" then you might have to install heli-coils.

Old 08-09-06, 08:39 AM
Hi, Thanks for your tips and advise for repairing the engine. I have a new gasket set which includes shaft seals, and will have to purchase some blue locktite for bolts. I will have to remove engine from the riding mower, this will require taking off the V-belt Drive pulley. The Shaft is keyed so I hope that can be done without using a gear puller, but I have one just in case.
Thanks again for your advice, I will plan on this week end to start the work. swissbob

Old 08-09-06, 10:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The stack pulley should slip right off by hand as long as the belts aren't holding it tight.

Old 08-10-06, 07:16 AM
Originally Posted by cheese
The stack pulley should slip right off by hand as long as the belts aren't holding it tight.
thanks again for your help, swiss bob

Old 08-10-06, 02:30 PM
This engine is about the age which Briggs had trouble with the factory installed sump bolts and they came out with a service bulletin regarding such. Go to your local Briggs dealer and buy ten new bolts, part number 692125, and your troubles will be solved. These are a new style bolt with "Loctite" already applied. And by all means, replace the gasket. Sump bolt torque is 200 in. lbs., fyi.