Please help me fix my gas trimmer engine!!!

Old 08-12-06, 02:35 PM
Please help me fix my gas trimmer engine!!!

Ok, I have a Ryobi 2-cycle gas trimmer. It just started dying on em. I can get it to start at half throttle and not full and it idles perfectly fine. It is just when I try to get it to full throttle it stalls on me. I have replaced the gas with new gas and 2 cycle oil. Pulled the carburator out, disassembled it and cleaned it. Replaced all the fuel lines and still the same thing happens. Oh yea replaced the spark plug too. I am up for any suggestions and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask!!!

I also noticed that there is a plate on the side of the carburator that has a little hole on it. When I put my finger over that hole the engine starts to die, but still with my finger over the hole i get go full throttle and it does not stall. Not sure if this helps, but I thought i would include it just in case.

Thanks for the help to all that reply!!!

Bernie

Last edited by nikihoi; 08-12-06 at 03:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-06, 09:41 PM
nikihoi
Main thing to check is the exhaust port. If it is plugged you will not get top end.Hopefully your muffler will come apart and allow you to clean the spark arrester.

snoman

Old 08-13-06, 09:43 AM
It wasn't the muffler, i even tried starting it without the muffler and it did the same thing.

Thanks!

Old 08-13-06, 07:11 PM
nikihoi
Can you possibly ellaborate on the "hole on the side of the carb", I'm not sure what or where it is.
thanks

snoman

Old 08-13-06, 07:26 PM
There is a plate on the side of the carburator. I belive it is where the diaphram is. It is a square plate with 4 screws and has a circular outdent on it. On the outer edge of the circular outdent is a little whole.

Hope that helps!

Bernie

Old 08-13-06, 08:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds to me like you still have carburetor problems.

Old 08-14-06, 04:14 AM
nikihoi
That hole that you described, I believe is the atmospheric vent hole for the diaphragm. As cheese said, I would dig deeper into the carb itself. It sounds like something is definetely plugged.

snoman

Old 08-14-06, 02:57 PM
Dig deeper? Would you care to elaborate?

Old 08-14-06, 08:17 PM
nikihoi
Well to elaborate, you said you removed the carb,disassembled and cleaned it. First off, if you have gone as far to disassemble it, you should clean it in an approved carb cleaner and then install a complete carb kit. Alot of times it can be juat a tiny plugged orifice that is causing the problem and some of these cleaners may not get at that particular spot or you have to remove welch plugs to get at them. Make sure when you put in the kit, the gaskets and diaphragms are put in in the right order. Some have the gasket first then the diaphragm and others vice versa
I hope this sheds a little more light.

snoman.