72 Briggs 7HP Flywheel removal???

Old 08-13-06, 09:14 AM
72 Briggs 7HP Flywheel removal???

Hi yall, newbie here so please be gentle.
I have a 1972 model Briggs engine with electric
starter. Mounted on a Ford LT 75 lawn tractor. I am needing to remove the flywheel to check/replace points, clean. I am restoring it. The "nut" for the flywheel is something I have not seen before. The air screen screwed to it. It has 4 "legs" for the screen screws, and under that notches. Is this the flywheel nut? If so does it take a special wrench/socket or could one just hammer the notches to loosen it? The notches are very pointed so a "normal" wrench won't fit them. Or am I going about this all wrong? I am thanking everyone in advance foe follow ups. Have a GREAT da y.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-06, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by 7777777
Hi yall, newbie here so please be gentle.
I have a 1972 model Briggs engine with electric
starter. Mounted on a Ford LT 75 lawn tractor. I am needing to remove the flywheel to check/replace points, clean. I am restoring it. The "nut" for the flywheel is something I have not seen before. The air screen screwed to it. It has 4 "legs" for the screen screws, and under that notches. Is this the flywheel nut? If so does it take a special wrench/socket or could one just hammer the notches to loosen it? The notches are very pointed so a "normal" wrench won't fit them. Or am I going about this all wrong? I am thanking everyone in advance foe follow ups. Have a GREAT da y.

Yeah,this part is called the 'starter chutch'.And you can get it off both ways.I mein,there is a special tool to take it off.It's called a 'clutch spinner' a 7/8 wrench or scoket fits it,you can pick one up at some hardware stores or at most small engine shops for around $6.00 or less.But...you can bump it off with a hammer.It comes off CCW.But don't hit it hard enough to brake off the ears.

And when you go to put it back on clean the sludge and gunk off crankshaft and inside of the clutch with sandpaper or it will squeel like crazy and tare up your starter pulley.Toque down to about 80 inch pounds (pretty tight).

Search this Thread