Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

International cub cadet 782

TX

08-14-06, 04:28 AM   #1  
International cub cadet 782

This item is need an engine rebuild. Are they worth fixing?? Was thinking of little project with the kids .. Here is the add..
Looks in good shape otherwise.. Red in color...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is an older International Harvester Cub Cadet (not one of the mega store models). It is a 50in cut hydrostatic drive, hydraulic lift deck, 2-cylinder gas. The motor is disassembled and will need to be rebuilt. I think it needs a new piston, but canít really remember. .

Sponsored Links

TX

08-14-06, 12:43 PM   #2  
just thougth someone might know if these are worth rebuilding or not.. said the engine is apart right now.. or is hard to put another (used ) engine on it..

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-14-06, 09:43 PM   #3  
It's a darn good mower. You might have some difficulty finding parts for it though. I don't know what engine is on it...probably a kohler magnum 18 or 20. That shouldn't be hard to get rebuild parts for though. You'll want a manual for that engine.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TX

08-15-06, 05:32 AM   #4  
thanks cheese... just looking for something to tinker with ...

PA

08-16-06, 08:02 AM   #5  
I'm fairly sure it has a Kohler KT17 motor in it similar to the one in a Deere 317. What you want to do is check to see if it is a series II motor: A KT17 Series II engine can be identified by a specification (Spec.) number of 24300 or higher. If it's a series one, I wouldn't be inclined to spend much on the motor, but the rest of the tractor is certainly worth while, and it can be repowered, here is one possilbe site for new engines:
http://smallenginewarehouse.com/RepowerItems.asp?Brand=Cub%20Cadet&Model=782

TX

08-16-06, 08:15 AM   #6  
thanks for the info... i am finding out right now if the motor is a II series or not.. if it is then it might be worth rebuilding ?? Can you rebuild them succesfully.. or is just buying another motor the only way to really go..

PA

08-16-06, 04:17 PM   #7  
The Kohler series 1 had really bad oil delivery problems ESPECIALLY if operated on a slope. Deere started having to replace motors the first year. That's why I'd not bother repairing it. The series II corrected the problem and is a very good motor with good pressurized oil delivery and probably has a 1500 hour design life if I had to guess. I've never rebuilt one, I've just worked on the old single cylinder "K" Kohlers, but if the parts for the 17 are as easy to get as other Kohler motors, it's much more economical to rebuild it as long as the block is sound.

PA

08-17-06, 07:22 AM   #8  
Kohler's website has some decent info:
http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp_a=sp100335cd&sp_t=search&sp-q=KT17
and to truly access the engine, you will need some decent machinist's tools like inside micrometers, an inspection mirror, and a torque wrench.

TX

08-17-06, 07:52 AM   #9  
thanks for the info.. I am betting it best if i probably pass on this project.. I was just thinking might be something i might be able to do.. but maybe not

AL

08-18-06, 09:04 AM   #10  
Here is a site that you may find useful. It is a Cub Cadet forum. I have it for my interest in the old Farmall Cubs which I have. www.---------.com

******Moderator's Note: redirecting members to another forum is prohibited.

Last edited by Annette; 08-18-06 at 10:42 AM.

TX

08-18-06, 10:00 AM   #11  
Thanks for the info... i will find the rest of it on a search engine....

Once again thanks for the info.

Last edited by Annette; 08-18-06 at 10:41 AM.

Search this Thread