Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

honda generator + transfer switch

08-14-06, 03:57 PM   #1  
honda generator + transfer switch

I`ve got a honda eb5000 generator that i want to use a with a square d manual transfer switch that was installed on the my home when i bought it. It immediatly popped the main breaker on the generator. I called my local honda dealer and they told me it`s a gfci model an since my home is gfci the generator is sensing an open(?) circuit, and trips. The mechanic told me to open the cover on the genrator and remove the white wire that connects the main power block to the ground. This was supposed to disconnect the gfci on the generator. Now when i try it, it takes a second before it pops the small push in breaker on the generator and not the main breaker on the generator. p.s. this is when i try and flip the toggle breaker on the square d box panel with only the fridge drawing power(sump/well/furnance not drawing) any ideas?

Last edited by chlocase; 08-14-06 at 04:15 PM.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-14-06, 09:38 PM   #2  
I think this question is better suited for the electrical forums. Have you tried asking there?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

08-15-06, 07:25 PM   #3  
Is it an EB5000 or an EB5000i

Which specific model generator set is it? Is it an EB5000 or an EB5000i? If it is the inverter model then you have a relatively intractable problem. Generators that have entire load Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) protection cannot be used to feed a home electrical system unless the home is fitted with a separate Service Disconnecting Means (SDM) that supplies one leg of a three pole transfer switch.

First some definitions:
Bonding Jumper, Main. The connection between the grounded circuit conductor and the equipment grounding conductor at the service.

Disconnecting Means. A device, or group of devices, or other means by which the conductors of a circuit can be disconnected from their source of supply.

Service Equipment. The necessary equipment, usually consisting of a circuit breaker(s) or switch(es) and fuse(s) and their accessories, connected to the load end of service conductors to a building or other structure, or an otherwise designated area, and intended to constitute the main control and cutoff of the supply.

The three pole transfer switch, when installed properly after the SDM, will disconnect the homes Main Distribution Panel (MDP) neutral buss from the Main Bonding Jumper (MBJ) that bonds the neutral conductor of the utility supply to the Service Equipment enclosure of the building. That MBJ is located in the Service Equipment enclosure. The Generator's GFCI circuit sees the MBJ as a ground fault. As long as that MBJ remains connected to the neutral buss of the panel the generators safety circuit will sense the connection to ground as a fault and open the circuit.

One other solution just occurred to me. By just installing the separate Service Disconnecting Means; with a third pole to open the neutral conductor; and opening it prior to operating the transfer interlock on the MDP you will have isolated the neutral buss bar of the MDP from Ground. For that to work you have to install separate Equipment Grounding Conductor (EGC) buss bar in the MDP, move all of the EGCs to the EGC buss bar, and remove the original MBJ from that panel. The only MBJ left will be the one on the line side of the SDM in the new Service Equipment enclosure. The main breaker of your existing panel is presently your SDM which is why the MBJ is presently installed in your MDP.

Without access to the service manual for that generator I cannot be of further assistance in figuring out how to modify that generators circuits or controls to avoid the problem.

08-16-06, 02:10 PM   #4  
yes tom, it is the EB5000 generator. thank you for providing me with the info. I don`t think it will work with my transfer switch as the whole generator is gfci grounded. It`s the industrial/jobsite model generator. Thanks again, steve.

08-16-06, 09:41 PM   #5  
You still have choices!

You can have a dealers shop remove the GFCI neutral bond protection, you can install a three pole service disconnecting means as I've already suggested, or you can trade the generator in on a more appropriate model. The one you actually want is the EM5000S. Unlike the EB5000 the EM5000S does not have a GFCI neutral bond. A step up from there is the EM5000ISAB. If you can afford the greater cost this inverter based generator will give you better fuel economy, with resultant longer run time per tank; quieter operation; and cleaner power that is suitable for any load.

Search this Thread