General Maintenance / Storage: Oiling the Bore and fuel Stabilizer

Old 08-14-06, 07:06 PM
General Maintenance / Storage: Oiling the Bore and fuel Stabilizer

Is oiling the bore for just storage / rust prevention or are there some other good (or bad) reasons?? Also, please elaborate on this from a 2 cycle and a 4 cycle standpoint.... especially when re-starting for the following season...

Stabil; is it better to keep gas and Stabil on the delicate carb parts or drain everything dry as it is recommended in many small engine manufacturer's manuals?? I've heard, for example, the delicate reed of a two cycle should not be left dry???

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-06, 09:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most two cycle lawn equipment doesn't have reed valves. I never oil the bore for seasonal storage. It can't hurt, but isn't necessary. I prefer to drain the gas from the tank and carb before long term storage. Adding stabil and running it for a few minutes to get the stabil-gas in the carb before storage is ok if it's just being stored until next season. Best thing is to get the stuff out and start it up once a month. There is a sticky post at the top of the forum with storage tips.

Old 08-15-06, 05:08 AM
I agree w/ Cheese. I've been emptying gas tanks and running carbs dry for yrs on both 2 &4 cyc. Haven't had a problem yet.
Mike

Old 08-15-06, 06:04 AM
Restart after storage

I'm trying to start a power washer W/Briggs& Straton 6HP 4 cycle thats been sitting for over a year maybe 2 W/gas tank drained. At 1st float stuck gas poured out was able to tap carb and free but now starts momentarily then stops after I let it sit awhile between try's. Is there any easy way to remedy?

Old 08-15-06, 04:20 PM
Did you run engine 'til it died after emptying gas tank? If not it probably has varnish in carb.
Mike

Old 08-16-06, 04:05 AM
Mike

Do not remember maybe not, what do I do if varnish is the problem?

Old 08-16-06, 04:59 AM
Buy a can of carb cleaner,remove & disassemble carb,remove all gaskets and rubberparts and soak carb in cleaner bath to remove varnish.
In reading all the threads on this and other small engine forums, I believe this is the cause of a majority of small engine problems.JMHO,
Mike

Old 08-16-06, 05:02 AM
I use to run my engines out, now I just leave em stabilized gas in em.... not for too long though, maybe 6 months then run em and fill with fresh stabilized.

Trane, it does sound like you have varnished gas.... (which is why I don't run mine out anymore, theres always a little gas left) just tear it apart (might need to get a gasket kit) and soak it in carb cleaner and blow it out through all the holes with air.....

Old 08-16-06, 05:18 AM
stabil

I have for years put in twice the recommended amount of stabilizer for the amount of the gas in the tanks and run all of my motors for 5 minutes for storage over the winter and had no problems with Spring startup time. For more than 6 months, I drain tanks and run engines dry. These methods have worked for all engines from weedeater to sterndrive 260 HP motors.

Old 08-17-06, 01:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Be careful "overdosing" the gas with stabilizer. I've seen it swell up rubber carb parts and cause damage after being mixed too heavily in the gas. I bet it was much stronger than twice the reccomended amount though.