Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

John Deere 175 won't start

08-15-06, 07:51 AM   #1  
John Deere 175 won't start

While mowing, my JD quit. I tried starting it to no avail. Even after it cooled down it still wouldn't start. I get a faint spark when I crank it over with a screwdriver in the plug cap and only when the screwdriver is very close to metal. I replaced the ignition coil 2 years ago when it wouldn't start but that time it had different symptoms. I was wondering if it could be the trigger coil? Or could it be the ignition coil again? Thanks for any and all help.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-15-06, 11:00 PM   #2  
What engine is on it?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

08-16-06, 04:05 AM   #3  
It's a Kawasaki FC420V.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-17-06, 01:25 AM   #4  
That's what I thought, but the "trigger coil" thing got me wondering what you had. I assume, then, that you are referring to the igniter? If so, it is the likely culprit if you have insufficient or erratic spark. You might want to disconnect the kill wire from the white wire that is plugged onto the igniter and try again, in case you have a safety switch causing the problem. Also, you might want to check the coil gap unless you're certain you set it right and got it tight enough that it wouldn't have vibrated out of place.

There is no test procedure for determining whether the coil or igniter is at fault. I keep a good igniter to test mowers with, but you probably don't have that convenience. In my experience, the coil usually gives out completely with no spark at all. The igniter usually gives erratic spark, weak spark, or occasionally no spark when it fails.

God bless!

08-17-06, 10:20 AM   #5  
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I was referring to the ignitor. I disconnected the kill wire and there was no change. I just bought a new ignitor but won't be able to install it until tomorrow. I will let you know how I made out. Thanks for your help!

Visiting Guest

08-17-06, 12:08 PM   #6  
Azis
It would be a good idea if you have not done so yet to replace the spark plug also. Those Kawies can be finicky about the plug and at times even be the culprit.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-17-06, 10:41 PM   #7  
Very true. That would/should have been the first order of diagnosis.

God bless!

08-17-06, 11:00 PM   #8  
I did check for a spark with a new plug although it wasn't the correct one for the engine and didn't get a spark. I figured using the screwdriver in place of the plug would verify spark or in my case lack of spark. I did buy a new plug when I bought the ignitor yesterday. I'm just leaving work right now and have a 2 hour drive ahead of me. After I get a few hours of sleep I'll see if the ignitor does the trick. I'll be sure to update as soon as I find out. Thanks again for all of your help!

08-18-06, 12:25 PM   #9  
SUCCESS! The ignitor coil was the problem. It started with the old plug but I put a new one in anyway. Thanks again to you two for the help!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-19-06, 12:13 AM   #10  
Great! Glad to be able to help!

God bless!

Search this Thread