Husky chainsaw won't idle

Old 08-15-06, 01:40 PM
Question Husky chainsaw won't idle

The saw is a 42/42 Special/242. Saw has been operating erratically. Got it running good at high speed with no hesitation. But when starting, must immediately give it full throtle. It will not even come close to idling without dying. The idle screw does not seem to do anything.
Any suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-06, 02:13 PM
sounds like my husky .021 , its very cold natured and its 20 years old , but it is like brand new , however it will idle after its been run a few mins.

does yours have good compression, does it pull start easy or hard?
does it bog down while cutting?
i think these things have a low idle air needle( i will check mine tomorrow, its at the farm), idle adjustment is not the really the prolbem, look for a needle screw adjustment, it will be a flush looking screw. note how it is set before moving it, to open the needle turn it counterclock wise, to close it turn it clockwise. make this adjustment in 1/8 turns. if there is no improvement i'd take it to a competent saw shop. it shouldn't cost over $25 to adust the carb.

Old 08-15-06, 03:15 PM
Thanks for your input VC. The saw has 3 set needles - High, Low and Idle. I have adjusted them to death and now have it running good at full throttle, but as I said it won't run at anything less. Compression is good.

Old 08-15-06, 09:28 PM
I think there is a post at the beginning of this forum that tells you how to adjust the carburetor correctly, however, since you are confident it isn't a simple adjustment problem...I would suggest you rebuild the carb. Not knowing how much you know I'll give you a bit of info. If you already know these things, simply disregard! Get the brand and number off your carb. Go to that company's website and download an IPL (Illustrated Parts List). The associated list of parts and parts numbers will tell you what rebuild kit you will need to purchase. You can download a good tutorial on rebuilding the carb from all the major carb manufacturers website. You should soak all your parts in a carb bath over night and carefully blow all the passages with a can of carb cleaner. If you have compressed air...use it also. If I'm wrong one of these guy's will correct me. These guy's know there stuff...Good Luck, Ron

Old 08-17-06, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the info Ron. I just ordered a carb kit. Will post results.

Old 08-17-06, 07:03 PM
Sure hope it all goes well! I'll be excited to hear the details, Ron

Old 08-18-06, 04:47 AM
Bigwind is on the money. That would be my diagnosis and procedure. Just be cautious with the compressed air if you have a high volume/pressure compressor.