Sparkplug cap corroded

Old 08-16-06, 09:27 AM
Sparkplug cap corroded

I have a 20-inch MTD lawnmower that won't start. It had been left outdoors for quite a while. I took the cap (if that's what you call it) off the sparkplug and the connector metal is rusted. I had only a kitchen knife and tried scraping some of it off to no avail.

What would be an easier way to clean this or should I just replace it? I don't have the manual so I don't know how much of a job it is to do. Is there a way to check to make sure this really is the problem before making any other effort?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-06, 09:36 AM
So its not the spark plug itself? its the boot? Sounds like it has a classic engine or something on it (usually the bigger engines would have a rubber boot over it)

Just use a scrubby pad to clean it... though Its probablly not the problem.... If it was left outdoors for quite a while... I'd be looking at water in the gastank/carb.... and gummy/varnished gas... which a carb rebuild (and tank wash) would fix....

Old 08-16-06, 09:46 AM
Yes, there is a rubber boot over it. There was no gas in the mower so I added fresh gas.

I'd use a scrub pad but it's such a tiny hole.

Last edited by drhowarddrfine; 08-16-06 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-17-06, 01:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The rust won't cause the problem. The connection doesn't have to be very good for it to work. In fact, the connectorr doesn't even have to touch the plug for it to work, as long as it's close enough. You have other problems. Do you have spark?

Old 08-17-06, 01:42 PM
Didn't know how to check for that but found a site that explained I can set the threads of the plug on the mower metal and watch for it. Unless you know a better way.

I can't get to it till next week.

Old 08-17-06, 02:47 PM
That is the best DIY'er way to check for spark...Remove the spark plug, insert it into the wire terminal, let the plug threads rest on a metalic part of the engine, pull the engine over and watch for spark at the electrode. You likely will need a second person to do this well. If no spark, try a new spark plug. If still no spark, post back here in the same thread.

Search this Thread