Craftsman chainsaw

Old 08-16-06, 08:33 PM
Craftsman chainsaw

I have a new craftsman chainsaw model #316.350840 and the cab seems to be non adjustable on the high and low settings, I am trying to use this saw at 8500 ft. elevation and it just wont rev up all the way. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-06, 01:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm at a loss for suggestions on this one. I guess I would first call tech support and ask if they have a carburetor jetted for use in high altitudes.

Old 08-18-06, 08:50 AM
A few years ago I was visiting my cousin in the mountains of New Mexico. He had just purchased a McCullough saw and was unable to get it to run decently. I called tech support and they recommended that I remove the spark supressor mounted under the muffler. It ran like a champ after that.

Old 08-18-06, 02:40 PM
There should be adjusments on the carb, just that they probably have limiter caps and you can only adjust about an 1/8th turn and this just won't be enough for your elevation. This is a McCulloch saw in Craftsman dress and being a McCulloch dealer for years, I've never heard of a carburetor for high altitudes. I'm no longer a Mac dealer since the bankruptcy in '98 and subsequent purchase by Ryobi/MTD/Whoeveritis, so I'm not sure if the new machines have such a fix. It's just that the higher the elevation the leaner you need to go with the fuel. Check with a local McCulloch dealer in your area for a possible remedy.

Search this Thread