10hp Tecumseh will not start.

Old 08-17-06, 09:12 AM
Torino
Visiting Guest
10hp Tecumseh will not start.

I bought a used craftsman that will not start. the owner said it had not been started in a year. it is a 10hp Tecumseh with the series 4 carb. if i spray starter fluid in the carb it will run off of that then die. i drained the gas tank and put fresh gas in. took the carb off and cleaned it. It seems to be starving for fuel. The float and needle seem to work and the passage is clean but when I put the bowl back on it will not fill with fuel. What do I do now?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-06, 11:45 AM
Is the fuel shutoff on ?? Check for obstructions in the fuel line

Last edited by mattison; 08-17-06 at 11:51 AM. Reason: No need to quote the entire post above.
Old 08-17-06, 04:34 PM
Torino
Visiting Guest
There is no shut off and I am getting fuel to the carb.

Old 08-17-06, 10:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
So you are getting fuel to the carb, but not in the carb, right? If so, there is a problem with the needle and seat, or the fuel inlet on the carb is restricted.

Old 08-18-06, 09:07 AM
Torino
Visiting Guest
Can I replace the needle and seat?

Old 08-18-06, 11:26 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Torino
The float and needle seem to work and the passage is clean but when I put the bowl back on it will not fill with fuel. What do I do now?
How did you check this? What passage?
It may be that the needle is actually stuck to the seat. When you raise and lower the float by hand observe the needle closely and make sure it is actually moving. If any doubt remove it completely and inspect the seat. With the needle out you should be able to blow on the fuel inlet and feel air where the needle drops in. If not the fuel inlet is plugged. Usually however the needle will stick and not allow fuel past.

Old 08-18-06, 02:30 PM
I suggest a bath for the carburetor and a Tecumseh rebuild kit. What are your engine's ID numbers? A new inlet needle and seat will be included in the kit as well as other useful parts for the carb.

Old 08-19-06, 01:18 AM
Torino
Visiting Guest
OK, I have fuel to the bowl now, but it still will not start without starter fluid and just till that runs out. What takes the fuel to the top of the carb. the carb is a Tecumseh 640084a. Is there any place on the web that shows how one of these carbs work so i get a better understanding of what I am doing. Like carb 101. This is my first time trying to fix one.

Old 08-19-06, 06:29 AM
Engine ID numbers please!!! The model will begin with 143 and also provide the serial number (four digits and a letter). The carburetor part number you provided is not an engine number and, by the way, this carb is common for 5 horse snowthrowers, not ten horse engines. If the carb is in fact OK and you still have trouble then it is time to look at the valve train, particularly the intake valve and seat. A bad intake valve will not allow sufficient vacuum to draw fuel into the combustion chamber from the carb.

Old 08-19-06, 08:41 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
When you cleaned the carb did you happen to notice the bolt that holds the bowl on having holes in the shoulder and the shank? If so they need to be cleaned out.
Also you did not mention how you finally got fuel to the bowl...knowing problems found and corrected help to paint an overall picture of the situation...

Old 08-22-06, 04:32 AM
Torino
Visiting Guest
replaced the seat and the needle. It is now running but it is surging, what now. Numbers form engine: 143 436012 2245A

Old 08-22-06, 11:36 AM
Take the jets out of the carb and soak them in carb cleaner for 30 minutes or so. I usually spray a pool of carb cleaner into the plastic cap and submerge the jets in it - they'll come out clean.

Old 08-22-06, 01:36 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Here is a online manual that covers your engine. http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf
If it has a high speed adjustment that is where I would start. The fuel/air mixture is likely too lean. This can be caused by restriction or improper adjustment of the carb.

Tecumseh # for your engine is TVXL220