Honda rear engine rider HT-R3009

Old 08-17-06, 08:01 PM
Honda rear engine rider HT-R3009

I have a GXV270 engine off the rider. What I'm wanting to know is how does the starter bendix come off the shaft? The numbers on the side of the starter are: ND DB5DP 128000-2450. The reason I'm asking is, I believe the only way to get to put the new brush holders in is to completely disassemble the starter and start assembling it from the commutator end. Anyone have any better ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-06, 11:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As I recall, there is a sleeve or collar at the end of the starter shaft. Drive it downwards towards the bendix gear to gain access to the "C" clip on the end of the shaft. Remove the "C" clip and the collar, spring, and bendix will slide off. Also, you can replace the brush holder assembly from the back end. It's a little tircky...best to have a helping hand. Use thin putty knives to hold the brushes down and slip the assembly in place while paying attention to the alignment of the brush plate, and hold in place while installing the rear cover. I did this once on a water cooled honda engine that required engine removal to gain access to the starter bolts, so I replaced the brush assembly with the starter still mounted to the engine.

Old 08-18-06, 05:35 AM
Thanks Cheese for the infomation. I thought that the sleeve would 'push' down, I'll take a socket or something and try to drive it down.

Old 08-18-06, 08:07 PM
Cheese - Your suggestion worked fine. But putting that brush holder on the commutator end was very tedious.

Old 08-18-06, 11:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad it worked! It is difficult to get everything in place all at the same time and then slip it together.