11 hp briggs on gen

Old 08-19-06, 05:31 PM
tae
11 hp briggs on gen

Hello. I have what cheese tells me is an 11 hp briggs rewind starter engine, and a 5000 watt alternator attached. the model is 252412
and the type is 015401 and the code is 78120411. It was given to me, and has sat for 2 years. It worked fine before that,
and looks like the tank was drained during this time. after spending alot of time yesterday trying to get it to start, i finally gave up.
I looked at it today, and saw there was an off/start switch on the alternator. I flipped it to on, pulled, and the sucker started right up,
and ran fine.( i thought that would be just for the alternator....duh) after about 5 minutes i turned it to off, it died(but did backfire
and seemed to run hotter than i would of thought), and after letting it set for awhile I washed it around the head under the shroud
since it blew alot of crap out when it started. fuzz and whatnot. now it wont start again. i am getting some coffee with cream
looking liquid from the bottom screw on the carb(drain plug?) but i do know it was tipped before to the point of oil into the air filter.
i have ordered a carb rebuild kit, although i hate this weird kind of carb,and wonder if there is a replacement that looks more normal?
I guess there is always the possibility that water got somewhere it shouldnt and it might start tomorrow. oil on dipstick looks fine.
any ideas? would it be worthwhile to rebuild it? or parts of it?

Last edited by tae; 08-19-06 at 09:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-06, 07:11 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
I posted a link to a briggs site page in your original thread http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=181125 that will let you find the Illustrated parts list for your engine...here it is again http://shop.briggsandstratton.com/BShopProductListingPage.asp?MecID=100&CatalogID=56B2B9A7-283C-11D4-8886-00B0D0203414&SessionID=43C7B3A0-6A44-4EB2-B2CC-23B437198A68&SMSID=Smart+Search&ViewName=htsDIY&EngineModelNumber=252412&EngineType=0154#
You might want to make sure u are still chasing a fuel issue by putting a few drops of fuel in the throat of the carb and see if it fires...if so...
It may have had some rust and sediment in the tank and even in the bowl. You can remove the fuel line to the carb and see if you get clean fuel to that point. If so remove the bowl and see how bad it is and clean it up with something other than WATER Carb and choke cleaner is cheap and does wonders for most engine grime. If the carb appears coroded and or varnished you may need a stronger bath type cleaner which most auto parts stores carry, Napa is popular one I know.

It has been a while since I have been in one of these carbs and the IPL is not very helpful as far as assembly, but you will want to find the fuel nozzle and make sure all the holes in it are free and clean. The bolt you loosened/removed at the bottom of the bowl scres into a sleeve, I think the fuel nozzle threads into that same sleeve. If you look at it and there are signs of corosion you may want to soak it in cleaner before trying to remove it. I think it may thread quite a ways in and they can be a bear to remove.
If it started and ran for 5 mins then it should certainly be worth rebuilding the carb especially if it gens ok. Use compressed air to clean debris from the shrouds and such and change the oil. Oil is important for cooling especially on air cooled engines not to mention lubrication.
I have never looked for a replacement carb for these types and most likely would require other modification to mount if there is one.

Old 08-19-06, 09:19 PM
tae
Update

well, i went out there tonight and tried a couple times...no
success. I decided since it was dark to check the spark. No spark.
pulled the recoil shroud/blower housing off, and there was more fuzz stuff in there.
maybe a rat made a nest? it looks like it was packed in there so
tight it pushed the plug wire against the motor. all thats left is a
bare wire. no rubber. I guess i will need a new armature-magneto?

Old 08-20-06, 12:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd replace the armature like you suspected. If yours hasn't been replaced before, it may well be the type that works with points. The new armature will be solid state and not require points for it to work. Much more reliable and accurate.

Old 08-20-06, 12:18 PM
tae
ok. If it hasnt been replaced before, will the new one bolt right on?
i will need part number 398811 or 395326 (ref # 333) for this?
mine has the spark plug wire, a wire that runs from behind through
the armature to where it bolts on in front, and another wire that
runs behind the flywheel. they are all bare. must of been mouse
ate. How did it ever start?
can i get this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRIGGS-MAGNETO-COIL-7-THRU-16-HP-ENGINES-MOWER_
W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46092QQihZ002QQitemZ2486102344QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Old 08-20-06, 12:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I tried to look at the address you posted, but get an error page from ebay.

You'll need part #398811. Yes, it will fit right in place of the old one.

"a wire that runs from behind through
the armature to where it bolts on in front"......this one you will clip from the old armature and connect a spade terminal to the end and connect it to the spade connector on the new armature.

"and another wire that
runs behind the flywheel".....this one you will clip off as close as you can under the flywheel, and forget it. That was for the points. The points are under the flywheel, but you don't have to worry about them. You can leave them under there.

Last edited by cheese; 08-20-06 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-20-06, 12:56 PM
tae
great thanks! I did just pull the flywheel, and yep, there are points
under there.
BRIGGS COIL

REPLACES #398811

FITS 7HP, THRU 16 HORIZONAL & VERTICAL ENGINES

BRIGGS MAGNETO ARMATURE FOR SINGLE CYLINDER

RETAIL PRICE 38.95

MY PART # CA-1778 SHIPPING 6.95

PAY WITH PAYPAL, CHECK , MONEYORDER,
http://search.stores.ebay.com/briggs-armature-398811_W0QQcatrefZC6QQfromZR10QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQftsZ2QQsacatZQ2d1QQsaprchiZQQsaprcloZQQsbrexpZWD1SQQsifZ1QQsofpZ4QQssPageNameZWD1S

Old 08-20-06, 03:33 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
You should be able to find it locally from a dealer for between 30 and 40 dollars...

Old 08-20-06, 03:47 PM
tae
that would be nice except i live in a very small town with one
repair place and high prices. online its $34.00 shipped.

Old 08-20-06, 11:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That coil/armature should do it.

Old 08-21-06, 06:51 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
I understand the small town issue, but items like this from Ebay scare me...there is a chance you may be buying your OLD part heheh

Old 08-21-06, 02:09 PM
tae
thanks cheese!
As a powerseller on ebay i'm familiar with the scams, and wouldn't have much trouble getting a refund.

Old 08-21-06, 02:33 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
I'm sure its all secure and and all that, but how do you get re imbursed for the headache!?!?

Each his own

Old 08-21-06, 03:35 PM
tae
this is fun! i already have the headache since my motor is not working.
the seller has over 5000 individual feedback at 100% positive.
I am not in a great hurry/emergency to get it.
It's really not any different to drive 100 miles round trip to get it at
a decent price and then get home to find it doesnt work, and have to do it all again.
This way consists of a few keystrokes and mouseclicks.
much less headache. much better use of time. much less expense.
Dont fear the web, Azis, don't fear the web.

Old 08-21-06, 04:27 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
I have absoulutely no fear of the internet (13 yrs now ), just Ebay. I have used it in the past myself and never had ne issues. Its nothing like it was a few years ago however. Also this is an electrical part. Even a parts store will not refund your money if its bad but at least you can look at someone while yelling about it.
Actually since its electrical and if you can get a refund perhaps its a better way to go, although there are TOO many much more reputable online merchants then ebay.

Old 08-21-06, 04:53 PM
tae
13 yrs. you're still a baby on the web. remember, ebay is only a marketplace, not an individual seller. there are good ones and bad ones there,
like any marketplace, and many bigger online stores got their start there, and many are still there. sears,jcpenney,sharper image all
sell on ebay(of course they didnt get their start there), just to name a couple. i also remember ebay when it was just starting. remember
when they had all the stats on the front page for amount of viewers, items listed/sold, etc? it was only a dime to sell anything, then it
was a quarter, now i've spent over $30.00 to list and sell 1 thing. oh well, everything goes up. As you say, it's usually pretty safe.
I will let you know how it goes when i get it. I do appreciate your concern though.

Old 08-30-06, 08:36 PM
tae
just wanted to let you know i got the armature, did what cheese said, and it started on the first pull. thanks guys!!

Old 08-30-06, 09:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Glad you got it!