Craftsman Eager-1 surged now won't start

Old 08-19-06, 10:06 PM
Craftsman Eager-1 surged now won't start

I have a Craftsman 22" Eager 1, 6 HP Mulcher. I recently replaced the blade, after replacing the blade it started surging slightly while running, today it wouldn't start.

Carb new last growing season, new air filter last week, new plug in spring.

The only thing that changed is the new blade and I started putting sea foam in with the fuel this year to keep it clean.

I also noticed that when it would start after the new blade it would make a strange kind of rumbling sound at first, then run fine.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-06, 12:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check the filter. If you tipped the mower to the carb side, it likely soaked the filter with gas and/or oil.

Old 08-20-06, 09:57 AM
If the blade was not installed squarely or with insufficient torque on the bolt, you may have a sheared flywheel (ignition timing) key.

Old 08-20-06, 06:08 PM
Stumped1
Check the tightness of the blade, or that it is on the hub correctly Chances are the noise you are hearing is the blade vibrating until it gets up to speed.
If it runs like that too long, as Puey said, it can shear the flywheel key.

snoman

Old 08-20-06, 10:25 PM
If it is a flywheel issue, is this something I can handle, I've done some carb rebuilding on my Mantis tiller, but never anything with the the mower, has always been reliable until last year when I had the carb replaced.

It does start when primed with carb cleaner but cuts out quicky.

I noticed today that when I hold the throttle down the lever over the carb (governor?) doesn't move, shouldn't it move to allow fuel into the carb?

The model # is 917.387331 if this helps.

Old 08-21-06, 06:19 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
If it will fire on carb on carb cleaner then its most likely Not the flywheel key, but a fuel delivery problem.
Depending on how much gas is in the tank you may be able to tip it up from the carb side of the mower towards the dipstick to get the gas in the tank away from the outlet on the tank, or remove the fuel line off of the tank outlet and drain the gas, or pinch the fuel line carefully with a rag and locking pliers....
Place a catch can under the carb and remove the fuel bowl from the carb and see what the bowl looks like. If there is fuel in the bowl, check the bolt that holds the bowl on to make sure the passages in the bolt are clear. If there is no fuel in the bowl then check the fuel line and tank for obstruction.

The throttle action you mention is normal and the lever on the carb will move when the engine turns and creates enough vacuum to open the throttle valve in the carb.

Old 08-21-06, 08:06 AM
While I was checking the carb I didn't see any fuel in the line going to the carb. Can the tank be removed and drained without too much trouble?

Old 08-21-06, 09:01 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Ya its pretty easy. Plastic cover with one or two screws then I think 3 bolts on top of tank one on the side and one that holds the dipstick tube, then the tank slides up and out of slots on the shroud. The fuel line where it attatches to the carb tho is hard to get to with the carb on, but you can remove the tank end to remove the tank. If the tank and line are clear you may need to remove the carb to check the inlet.

Old 08-21-06, 06:52 PM
Upon closer inspection the hose I was looking at was the one coming out of the carb, not in.

I started to take off the bowl below the carb to spray it with some carb cleaner and fuel started coming out. Do I need to remove the fuel line going into the carb betore removing the bowl to clean, or will just a little spill out and then stop.

Old 08-21-06, 07:36 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
As mentioned in my previous post use a catch can under the bowl to catch the bit of fuel that may still be in the bowl. If you followed any of the steps I mentioned, tilting the mower or pinching the line or draining the tank, then yes only a little will come out. If not the entire amount in the tank may drain out. Again the bowl is not the most important part here the bolt which has passages to meter the fuel IS the part which is most likely restricted if the bowl has fuel but it still will not start. The bowl should be cleaned however to avoid clogging the passages.

Old 08-21-06, 08:23 PM
Are you saying the screw that holds the bowl on needs to be cleaned? I took the bowl off and sprayed it good with carb cleaner, it sputtered briefly, then nothing.

I'm beginning to think the problem is bigger than just fuel. The pull rope alternates from being so loose it comes all the way out, and being very hard to pull.

Old 08-21-06, 08:59 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Stumped1
Are you saying the screw that holds the bowl on needs to be cleaned?
Yes the bolt that holds the bowl on actually meters the fuel. Look closely and u should see a hole in the end and the shoulder. If this is restricted fuel can not get up to the carb from the bowl.

Old 08-21-06, 09:20 PM
I'll give it another shot tomorrow, but those shiny new mowers in the Home Depot ad are looking better and better.

Thanks.

Old 08-21-06, 09:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you check the filter, or try it with the filter removed?

Old 08-21-06, 09:47 PM
No, I haven't checked the filter, is it inside the tank?

I'll do both tomorrow.

Old 08-21-06, 10:04 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Cheese the engine is Tec 143985004 with the twist on air filter...would take some talent I think to soak the filter but...? Easy enuff to check

Old 08-21-06, 10:32 PM
I thought you meant fuel filter, the air filter is new and in good condition.

Old 08-23-06, 09:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I know what filter it is, but they will get soaked too if the mower is tilted on the side for long enough (like often happens when someone changes a blade, like in this case). These usually just get soaked with gas though, not oil.

I agree though, after re-reading, that the tiny holes in the bowl screw are probably restricted.

Old 08-24-06, 09:02 PM
Well, I overtightened that part and now the bowl won't screw back on becuase the threads are misaligned, and I lost the gasket in the high grass that hadn't been mowed.

I put a little over a hundred bucks into it last year before I found this site, so I'm shopping for a new one now. Got 10 years out of though.

Thanks for the advice.

Search this Thread