Lawn Mower starts, runs a second, then cuts off

Old 08-21-06, 07:16 PM
Lawn Mower starts, runs a second, then cuts off

I have a fairly new (barely used) lawn mower that I borrowed from a friend. The friend has an apartment and does not have to mow, so the mower has not been started in a year or more.

Initially I got nothing when I tried to start it, so I removed the plug and cleaned it off (some black carbon build up). Check air filter, it is brand new. Check oil, also looks very "new" and good level.

After putting the plug back in and priming the gas "bubble" on the front of the engine (it is a Murray mower with a B-S engine), I can get the mower to start, but it cuts off almost immediately. If I start it and slowly pump the priming bulb, I can get it to run, albeit very "unevenly" and rough likely due to inconsistent gas delivery.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Jaymes

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-06, 07:29 PM
What size engine? as in what hp..... right now it sounds like you need to clean the carb, and tank (over a year is too long for unstabilized gas, if it was never stabilized???)

Old 08-21-06, 07:44 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
If it will run by priming it then the fuel is prolly ok. It does make a difference however whether it is a diaphram carb or float.
Model # and type # of the engine will be most helpful?
If you go to this briggs page, http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?DocID=64103 then click on manuals and parts lists, there is a help to locate the numbers.

Old 08-21-06, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by v8driver
What size engine? as in what hp..... right now it sounds like you need to clean the carb, and tank (over a year is too long for unstabilized gas, if it was never stabilized???)
It is a Murray Select 22" 2in1 Mulching/Discharge mower with an 6.0 HP Briggs and Stratton engine.

The tank was dry when I got it, gas likely evaporated in tank. I put fresh "Super" grade gas in it to get it to this stage. Did note that a good bit of greyish white smoke came out of the exhaust the first couple of times I fired it up, but figured that was oil that had "settled" in the engine during the long down time.

If I want to clean the carb, is there some "carb cleaner" that I can use without tearing into the engine too greatly or do I have to take the engine apart to clean it? I really need this mower as a second mower to get to some pretty rough spots along the power line easments adjacent to my real yard. Thinking it will get pretty torn up mowing in that area over time, so I am looking to get it started as cheaply as possible.

Thanks again.

Old 08-21-06, 09:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The carb is on the side of the engine behind the air filter. Just remove it and clean it. You don't have to go into the engine or anything special.

Old 08-22-06, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by cheese
The carb is on the side of the engine behind the air filter. Just remove it and clean it. You don't have to go into the engine or anything special.
uhm... thanks, but...
clean it how? Do I need anything special? What should I use as a cleaning agent? Obviously not soap and water, but what about rubbing alcohol or some other solvent? Also how do I clean it? Old Toothbrush? Rag? Q-tip with solvent?

Again, I am not that good with engines, but give me some boards and I will make you a house (dog house, but still it's a house)....

thanks for everyone's help.
sincerely
Jaymes

Old 08-22-06, 04:03 PM
Just take the carb off, go get some spray carb cleaner (say like gumout) and spray it down good, and spray it through any and all holes a few times real good.... and maybe chase em with a bread tie.... thats about it, unless you have some compressed air, that will work well with the carb cleaner.

Search this Thread