Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn tractor vapor lock problem

08-23-06, 06:32 PM   #1  
Lawn tractor vapor lock problem

My 16.5 hp weed eater tractor has taken to vapor locking (there is a clear fuel filter, tractor runs fine for about 20 minutes and then the filter is dry-will restart after a few minutes when gas can start refilling the filter). I have a new gas cap, also tried running with it loose - no help. The tractor is under warranty but the shop claims they can not get the problem to repeat - if I take it back it will be the 3rd time - they put a new carb on the first time and the second time couldn't repeat the problem no matter how much I tried to convince them to run the mower. What other problems can lead to vapor lock? bad valves or timing making the engine run hotter? before taking it back the second time I took the hood off after it died for the second time, I was then able to finish without it quiting again.
I think its a techumse (spelling?) engine, overhead valve single cylinder, gravity fed gas.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-23-06, 06:59 PM   #2  
Azis
Weed eater tractor is a new one on me. The 16.5 HP Tecumseh tho if its and enduro...I think, it has a cheezy float bowl which houses some kinda train driver marvel and comes off with a bail. Surely it would have been replaced with a new carb but may want to check. Other thing that comes to mind is maybe some fuel line collasping. I have seen new mowers that have the fuel line already deteriorated.

The problem should be upline of the filter tho which should only be fuel line and the tank and outlet.

08-23-06, 07:50 PM   #3  
Azis, weedeater is a ayp made mower (well electrolux brand), is the fuel line near the engine? (as in almost touching it)

08-24-06, 07:27 AM   #4  
updates to Weed eater tractor vapor lock

Ok, I have the owners manual and engine manual in front of me now.

Fuel line is about an inch away from engine for the last 9 inches or so of its length (same place its been for 5 years). Yes there is a bail clip holding the float bowl onto the carb and it does look new with the new carb. fuel flows thru the filter from the tank fine (I took the line off and let the gas run into a container - gas is new).

Visiting Guest

08-24-06, 08:29 AM   #5  
Azis
Unfortunately I think you will want to perform the same check when the engine is in a no run situation. Something is changing most likely from heat. Fuel line is fairly inexpensive and would be worth changing out with new.
If you can get it to stall out again maybe pull the fuel line from the carb and see if you have flow. If yes then problem should be in the carb if no fuel, line, filter, tank....

Sometimes with intermitten symptoms such as yours it takes resorting to parts replacement. The closer you can localize the problem the fewer parts can be suspect.

Just because the carb and bowl is new does not mean that they are not still the problem also...

Frustrating I know but bout all I can think of from this end...

NY

08-24-06, 11:13 AM   #6  
I'm inclined to say that the engine is overheating and transferring heat to the carb and thereby creating a vapor lock situation. I suggest removing the flywheel shroud and inspecting the cooling fins for blockage. My guess is that you'll find them plugged up tight. Clean this out very thoroughly, including where they wrap around on the bottom side of the engine.

08-25-06, 06:35 AM   #7  
appreciation

thanks for the tips, I hope to try them this weekend (and finish cutting the grass). I'll post results when I have them.

Search this Thread