Who makes the best gas push mower?

Old 08-24-06, 01:15 PM
Who makes the best gas push mower?

My lawn mower finally bit the dust. I'm looking for a gas powered push mower.

I'm looking to buy is a 6.5 hp 3 in 1 mulcher, 21-22" deck.

What manufacturer makes the best lawn mower?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-06, 02:37 PM
You'll likely get as many different answers as replies on this one. My personal opinion on this one is Toro. I base this, too, on 25+ years in the OPE service field.

Old 08-24-06, 02:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree...opinions will vary widely. I like some of the toros. Especially the ones with the suzuki engines, but I'm not sure if they still use them or not. Deere is good if you get one with a kawasaki. Same with cub cadet with kawasaki. They're also more expensive. If those are out of your intended price range, then get whatever you like best at the best price, because most of the lower end mowers are about the same as far as quality.

Old 08-24-06, 07:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I always buy one of the cheaper 21"-22" push mowers with a B&S engine. With regular maintence they usually last me 10-15 yrs.

Old 08-24-06, 08:53 PM
Home Depot has a Toro for $279.00, 6.5 HP 3 in 1 Mulcher low wheel model.

I had a high back wheel mower because my back lawn has some low spots and the front grows high.

How much difference would a low wheel model make? Would I see a dramatic difference? I don't want to buy the lower model and have it buzz cut my lawn every time.

Old 08-25-06, 04:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have always had the small wheel mowers and never had any 'scalping' problems but I also use one of the higher settings since it is better for the lawn. I always thought the main benifit of taller rear wheels was easier manuevering.

Old 08-25-06, 04:38 AM
I bought the Toro personal pace with electric start early this spring and simply love it. I think if I had the extra cash I would have bought the Honda.

Old 08-25-06, 07:32 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
I would agree with marksr that the high wheel makes for easy manuvering and traversing ruff terain. Personally once using a high wheel I would find it difficult being as satisfied with any thing else on other than manicured lawns.

Old 08-25-06, 08:05 AM
Unfortunately, for homeowners (but not for us shop owners), these things break down and will be in need of professional service from time to time. And for the DIY'ers, you will need parts for these on many ocassions. My point is that you should buy a machine for which you have a local servicing dealer in your area. Why buy a mower that you have to travel hours for to obtain parts and/or service?

Old 08-25-06, 05:05 PM
Since I'm 6'-3" tall, have a bad back, and bad knees, I look for handlebars at the proper height, good quality bearings in the wheels so it's easy to push, and ease of height adjustment, and then I look at engines, deck design etc. The best mower in the world isn't much good if it hurts to use it.

Old 08-25-06, 07:39 PM
All I can add to this series of posts is, it sure is sad that Lawnboy with OMC engines are no longer available. Have a nice day. Geo

Old 08-26-06, 07:59 PM
I went with the Toro 6.5 hp, self-propelled, 3 n 1 high wheel.

I used it today and I must not have set the wheels high enough because it didn't mulch very well. But the grass was pretty high, i'm sure it will be fine under normal conditions.

Have to say I like the self propel feature

Old 08-26-06, 08:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Congrats on the new mower. Mulching usually doesn't work well with tall grass. Maybe it'll be better next mowing.

Old 08-27-06, 10:02 AM
Toro quit making 2-stroke mowers with the Suzuki engines a few years ago.

If you could find a good used one of them it'd be better than most new ones. Mine is 15 years old, and required its first repair last year - a new magneto. Which was $125.

This season I had to make the first adjustment on it - the front wheel bolts had shaken a bit loose and 5 minutes later they were tightened. It still starts in the first two pulls every time.

Other than that - sharpen the blade and gas/oil is all I've done to it - amazing mower.

If I had to buy today I'd buy a Honda - but I'm not sure what I would get to do the steep backyard I have - hills eat 4-stroke engines for lunch.