Craftsman / Briggs surges, must choke!

Old 08-30-06, 09:46 AM
Craftsman / Briggs surges, must choke!

I have a craftsman 536.270112 rear engine rider with a Briggs 10 HP commercial in it.

Lately it's taken upon itself to surge and even die unless the choke is left out. I've checked the air cleaner and the plug (it's very black and I assume it's running very rich). The only adjustment I can find on the carb is Throttle Crack Screw/ Engine Idle Screw.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem? I'm a poor gal on Social Security Disability and really need to channel my small check in other directions.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-06, 03:12 PM
The plug is probably black because you have been using the choke. It is obviously a fuel flow problem of some kind. If any of these these ideas work no need to continue with the others. 1. First try running it with the fuel cap loose/off to check for a blocked cap vent. 2. Have a container handy to catch the fuel, now remove the fuel line from the carb and see if you have a nice flow(more than just a trickle) if not check the flow before the filter if it has one. 3. Shut off the fuel to the carb or clamp the fuel line shut, now carefully remove the bowl from the carb(bolt on bottom of the bowl) check the bowl for dirt, also the bolt you removed probably has some small holes in it clean those also(you will need a can of carb cleaner spray with the little straw nozzle $2.50). 4. Turn the fuel on to see if fuel will run through the needle valve(put a container under the carb to catch the fuel) if you are getting fuel and the holes in the bolt and stem it was screwed into are now clean put the bowl back on(careful with the gasket) and give it a try. If none of this helps then the carb will probably have to be removed and soaked. Post back as to what you find. Have a nice day. Geo

Old 08-31-06, 04:53 AM
Smile

Thank you Geogrubb,

I will try your suggestions and get back to you after the weekend (leaving town). What you say makes sense and I see what happens.

Thanks

Old 09-03-06, 01:18 PM
Surging is an indication that the engine is "starving for gas" which in most cases an air leak has occurred some where on,in or around the carburetor interrupting the proper "air/fuel" mixture. In other words, air gets into the mixture leaning the mixture out with "more air that fuel". "Water in the fuel or carb", could be one problem.
Check for a "loose carburetor" or "mounting bolts", a "worn throttle shaft", dried up or damaged "intake gaskets". Also check to see if anything is touching the governor lever or linkage, this can also cause surging.

Search this Thread